none
Multiple SharePoint Portals on different domains RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

a general question: in TMG I can publish multiple SharePoint sites with different domain names on the same listener (example: site.domain1.com, site.domain2.com etc), by using a certificate with a bunch of SAN's and forwarding the original host header to the SharePoint Farm.

I'd like to move at least some to UAG, primarily to enable WP7 SharePoint integration, but this does not seem to be possible. Perhaps I'm missing something - can someone confirm or deny if this scenario is possible or not?

Thx in advance!
    Rgds - M.

Thursday, September 8, 2011 1:48 AM

Answers

• Hi Marcus,

A listener in TMG is equivalent in UAG to a portal trunk, and UAG requires that all externally facing FQDNs used by the applications published through the same trunk share the same domain (i.e. app1.domain.com, app2.domain.com, etc.). You cannot have multiple domains published through the same trunk. This limitation is imposed by the fact that UAG maintains a session for every user accessing the portal trunk, by means of a session cookie. The cookie is set to the browsing client with a domain attribute, in order for the client to send back to UAG that cookie when requesting resources on any one of the different FQDNs (i.e. app1.domain.com, app2.domain.com, etc.) of the same portal trunk.

Regards,

-Ran
    • Proposed as answer by Kai Wilke Thursday, September 8, 2011 7:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by MarcusB Thursday, September 8, 2011 7:14 PM
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 3:37 AM

All replies

• Hi Marcus,

A listener in TMG is equivalent in UAG to a portal trunk, and UAG requires that all externally facing FQDNs used by the applications published through the same trunk share the same domain (i.e. app1.domain.com, app2.domain.com, etc.). You cannot have multiple domains published through the same trunk. This limitation is imposed by the fact that UAG maintains a session for every user accessing the portal trunk, by means of a session cookie. The cookie is set to the browsing client with a domain attribute, in order for the client to send back to UAG that cookie when requesting resources on any one of the different FQDNs (i.e. app1.domain.com, app2.domain.com, etc.) of the same portal trunk.

Regards,

-Ran
    • Proposed as answer by Kai Wilke Thursday, September 8, 2011 7:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by MarcusB Thursday, September 8, 2011 7:14 PM
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 3:37 AM
  • Hi Ran,

thx for you explanation. I figured that would be the case (unfortunately !!)

Thx again!
    Rgds - M.

Thursday, September 8, 2011 7:14 PM