boot performance issues and programs being deleted RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I've been having issues with my laptop since late Jan early Feb (Christmas present) when I turn it on I often end up with blank screens and as far as I can see all I can do is power off and try again until it works, sometimes I'm given no choice other than to enter safe mode etc... to start up, then sometimes turn it on and off several times and sometimes it starts up first time! Second issue is the more annoying one. I downloaded Steam and a game off Steam, Rome Total War (which is class) and after over 100 hours game time, I turned the pc on one day and the Steam programme on my desktop had changed in appearance to look like a folder and the Rome programme had changed too. The only way I could find to play the game again was to delete steam and Rome and reinstall which meant I lost all the 100 hours+ game time. So, I started again and with 10 hours or so it happened again, 3 or 4 times now so I've given up hoping it sorts itself out. Also the same thing happens to other programmes, Asus Vibe 2.0, A.V.G. Google Chrome to name a few off top of my head. It seems to delete them off my desktop and when I look for them in 'Programs' I get a list of seemingly unaffected programmes followed by the affected programmes which now appear as folders and can't be opened. Frustrating!!! Anyway hope this kind of makes sense to someone. And just so ye know, I know little or nothing about computers so any help is greatly appreciated but the simpler it's spelt out to me the better!!! Look forward to hearing from any genius's out there!
    Thursday, August 15, 2013 7:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

From your description, I think this issue occurs most likely due to the corrupted user profile. A user profile is a collection of settings that make the computer look and work the way you want it to.

It contains your settings for desktop backgrounds, screen savers, pointer preferences, sound settings, and other features.

So, I highly recommend you to create a new profile, and copy files to the new user profile.

Detail steps about how to create a user profile, please refer to the following article:

Fix a corrupted user profile

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows7/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Does this work? Please feel free to contact me if the problem persists.

Regards,

Yolanda

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Sunday, August 25, 2013 3:15 PM
    Sunday, August 18, 2013 2:50 AM
  • Regarding to the blank screen, I recommend you to view the event log to find the cause and update all possible drivers that you have.

Regards

Yolanda

Sunday, August 18, 2013 4:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

From your description, I think this issue occurs most likely due to the corrupted user profile. A user profile is a collection of settings that make the computer look and work the way you want it to.

It contains your settings for desktop backgrounds, screen savers, pointer preferences, sound settings, and other features.

So, I highly recommend you to create a new profile, and copy files to the new user profile.

Detail steps about how to create a user profile, please refer to the following article:

Fix a corrupted user profile

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows7/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Does this work? Please feel free to contact me if the problem persists.

Regards,

Yolanda

Sunday, August 18, 2013 2:50 AM
  • Regarding to the blank screen, I recommend you to view the event log to find the cause and update all possible drivers that you have.

Regards

Yolanda

Sunday, August 18, 2013 4:52 AM