none
Group Resource Usage View by Task Category RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There,

Does anyone know of a way to group the Resource Usage View by categories or text attached to a Task?

So My Tasks have a category assigned (e.g.):

Task1           Cat1   Resource1

Task2           Cat1   Resource2

Task3           Cat2   Resource1

Task4           Cat1   Resource1

etc

I then flip to the resource usage view and want to see my allocations as follows:

Cat1

Resource1

Task1  => Usage data

Task4  => Usage data

Resource2

Task2  => Usage data

Cat2

Resource1

Task3  => Usage data

Is there a way to see my resource usage for resources broken out by category?

Thanks

Chris

Friday, October 27, 2017 10:48 AM

Answers

• Chris,

Great, I'm glad the Wiki articles were helpful. When appropriate I recommend them to users but I rarely get feedback that the user actually reads them, so thanks for that.

Okay, to create your original request I created the following test file and then translated the Task Text1 (i.e. Cat) field to the Assignment Text1 field in the Resource Usage view. Here is my Gantt Chart view.

Then I switched to the Resource Usage view and created Group 1 which I then applied to the view with the result as shown (i.e. just what you want).

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, October 30, 2017 4:29 PM

All replies

• Chris,

Yes, but first you need to understand that a task custom text field is not the same as a resource custom text field or an assignment custom text field. You can make a translation, but it requires either manual copying or a macro. You might want to read the following Wiki articles:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/31991.ms-project-data-types-task-resource-assignment.aspx

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/32051.ms-project-extra-fields-in-views.aspx

Once the translation is made you should be able to set up the grouping as desired.

Hope this helps.

John

Friday, October 27, 2017 1:54 PM
  • Chris --

In addition to John's excellent response, the other way to address your need to would to apply grouping in the Task Usage view.  You would need to group by the custom Text field first and then by resource name.  It would not be perfect, but I think it would come close to what you seek.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Sunday, October 29, 2017 5:21 PM
  • Hi John,

Excellent response and the macro does exactly the right thing (copying the data from the Task in the Task View to the Task in the Usage View), however my next challenge is to allow me to group using this newly populated field.

I suspect your first statement is where the problem lies (that the view is based on the Resource). I populate ALL of the task (assume Usage) values with the values but when I group on my new Text field, it says that the setting is blank... but if I change the value against the resource itself, it does group separately. So one step forward...

I can make this work by filtering out ALL tasks for Cat 1, grabbing the data and then filtering on Cat 2 and then repeating for each category but I cannot group in the sheet itself based on (I assume) assignment Text30, then resource as I think it works on resource text30 and then resource.

Let me know if this doesn't make sense.

However, this is a great way forward so far, just the last 20% and I am done.

Thanks

Chris

Monday, October 30, 2017 3:55 AM
  • Thanks Dale, I'll check it out.

Monday, October 30, 2017 3:57 AM
  • Chris,

Great, I'm glad the Wiki articles were helpful. When appropriate I recommend them to users but I rarely get feedback that the user actually reads them, so thanks for that.

Okay, to create your original request I created the following test file and then translated the Task Text1 (i.e. Cat) field to the Assignment Text1 field in the Resource Usage view. Here is my Gantt Chart view.

Then I switched to the Resource Usage view and created Group 1 which I then applied to the view with the result as shown (i.e. just what you want).

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, October 30, 2017 4:29 PM
  • Hi John,

I can see what I was doing wrong. See the subtle checkbox "Group assignments, not resources" this allowed me to use the assignment Text30 not the resource Text30 and it all grouped correctly.

A huge thanks, you have achieved legend status and I have achieved a breakout of tasks by Fixed/T&M price.

Regards

Chris

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 2:07 AM
  • Chris,

You're more than welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 2:01 PM