SharePoint slow to respond and prompting for credentials after adding a new site or manipulating groups RRS feed

• Question

• I have a site collection primarily for document storage/collaboration with 78 sub sites, total size is 15GB on SQL Server 2005 - at the top level is the container site where the visitor group has read access to all of the content below in the subsites - each site has its own owners and contributers groups. If I add a new team site somewhere in the heirarchy shortly afterwards if I refresh the SC root page it can take a couple of minutes to display the page and I often get prompted for credentials again .. the sites in the SC are based on the team site template with some of the layout of the landing page modified to suit - all OOB. 

If I then go in and add a group to a site or change rights for exisitng groups on a site I get similar behaviour except that I do not usually get prompted for my credentials ...

I suspect that SQL hardware needs beefing up but before I approach the infrastructure guys is there stuff I can look into first and potentially improve this situation.

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 12:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Paul,

Based on your description it seems you are having compound issues.

1.       Potential under powered SQL server.

a.       Any details on this?

2.       Potential we have exceeded one of performance guidelines on http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc287790(office.12).aspx

a.       Since you are using this as a document repository makes sure the document libraries are stored in a fashion of 2000 items per level.  Basically if you have more than 2000 files in that folder create subfolders and move content into them so it does not exceed 2000 items per folder.

3.       Authentication issue.

a.       You should not get prompted after creating site collection.  When you get the prompt take a look at the IIS logs and see where the 401 is coming from.

b.      On the authentication prompt itself; make sure it displays the proper hostname for the site.  If not then there might need to be some tweaks to AAM and DNS.

Regards, Savoeurn Va Microsoft Online Community Support
    Monday, November 7, 2011 8:39 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the pointers - there are a few instances of prompting for credentials cropping up around the business so it is a generic issue.

However, one more thing that is probably relevant is that we have 2 load balanced web servers where the load balancing is done by a Zeus virtual appliance.

When the prompt appears the domain bit is defaulted to the URL name (ie, Collaboration for http://collaboration) and not the actual domain that the server is in.
    • Edited by Paul Fr Thursday, November 10, 2011 10:30 AM
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 10:07 AM