read only attribute in win vista RRS feed

• Question

• hi hope someone can help me.I've got win vista home basic.  I am converting video files from .vob to .avi using dr divx. The problem is when I try to save the file its saying 'the folder is read only' when i try to remove the read only attribute it set itself back on. Its doing this in all my folders. I even used the attrib command from dos promt it didn't work.

Friday, May 11, 2007 10:08 AM

All replies

• See the thread at http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1553690&SiteID=17

Basically read-only for folders has no effect. The chances are you are running into an NTFS permissions issue somewhere. I'm not familiar with dr divx but it is possible it is trying to create a temporary file somewhere it shouldn't

Friday, May 11, 2007 11:25 AM
  • hi andy..  It gives the problem on the target folderwher the converted file must be stored. Ive tried to run dr divx as administrator. and take ownership of the folder. is there another way to get around this problem or to give drdivx full permissions?
    Friday, May 11, 2007 11:42 AM
  • I am having similar problems.  Your suggestion of a temp file somewhere gave me an idea. I downloaded sysinternals procmon to see what files the application tried to create and saw that it was a file on the C drive.  ( C:\sq8.3)  Running it several times it was a random alpha-numeric string with a number for an extension.  Procmon stated the file create failed.  I tried fiddling around with the permissions on the C drive to allow a user running the program to create the file with no luck.  I am not that familiar with Vista permissions.   Do you have any advice?

-Yacuthuluzan

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 3:15 AM