Explorer.exe using 100% cpu after losing Internet connection RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone

I am using windows 8.1 x64 enterprise, and unfortunately I am on a very unstable Internet connection, which happens to get disconnected on random occasions. This in itself is not the problem, only when it happens (getting disconnected from the Internet), explorer.exe cpu usage hits the roof, making the whole system totally slow. 

Any ideas on what might be causing this, or how to resolve it?

P.S.: could this be a sign of virus activity?

P.S.: I have Avira professional antivirus installed, fully updated, running occasional scans of the system files. Also could this behavior be normal for windows 8.1 probably?

• Edited by Client_Zero Monday, January 25, 2016 6:23 PM additional information, and a new question that sparked in my mind
    Monday, January 25, 2016 4:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• I recommend you to perform a clean boot.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

When your computer loses the Internet connection, check the status of explorer.exe. If everything is fine, the computer may has a problem with a third-party software.

You can also reinstall the computer's virus software.

Monday, January 25, 2016 6:36 PM
  • I recommend you to perform a clean boot.

When your computer loses the Internet connection, check the status of explorer.exe. If everything is fine, the computer may has a problem with a third-party software.

You can also reinstall the computer's virus software.

Thank you so very much for taking the time to answer my question.

I have already performed reinstalling the computer's antivirus application, but to no avail unfortunately.

I am afraid the clean boot option might not be possible, cause I am on a somewhat intrusive corporate network, and I don't really feel like not having my Comodo firewall not watching over all my connections. Will the clean boot option not hold back the firewall software from starting up?

Monday, January 25, 2016 6:43 PM
  • In order to diagnose your problem we need to run Windows performance toolkit the instructions for which can be found in this wiki

If you have any questions feel free to ask

Please run the trace when you are experiencing the problem

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Monday, January 25, 2016 6:44 PM
  • Hi,

I quite understand your issue. The Internet Explorer takes so much usage of CPU. Since you have scan for virus, do you get any result after you ran it?

We would consider it is the 3rd party add-ons of Internet Explorer cause it. Please refer the link below to disable the add-ons and check the issue again.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/manage-add-ons#ie=ie-11

Also, please use Process Monitor to capture the exact process which takes so much space.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Good luck to fix it.

Best Regards,

Simon 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 8:10 AM