Outlook 2010 search tools greyed out after windows update in dec 2017 RRS feed

• Question

• outlook 2010 search tools greyed out after windows update in Dec 2017. Also, outlook now searches old emails first, instead of most recent. Tried indexing, modify, no result. any help. Thank you.
    • Edited by eddie1010 Tuesday, January 2, 2018 7:32 PM
    Tuesday, January 2, 2018 7:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Which version of Windows OS are you using?

How many users are affected in your organization?

What does 'search tools' refer to in your description? Do you mean the Search Tools button or the Refine group under Search tab?

When try indexing, did you notice that whether 'Microsoft Outlook' is included in the indexing list? Microsoft Outlook is required to be in the list, otherwise, the search tools could be greyed out.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Steve Fan Wednesday, January 3, 2018 5:58 AM
    Wednesday, January 3, 2018 5:53 AM
  • Hi Steve,

I use Windows 10 Home, and only my computer search function was affected after an update about two weeks ago.

The search tools panel had greyed out after the update, please see a prtscr attached (1). 

Windows Outlook is included in locations for indexing (attachment 2)

Thank you.

Eric.

• Edited by eddie1010 Wednesday, January 3, 2018 3:55 PM
    Wednesday, January 3, 2018 3:53 PM
  • Hi Steve,

I use Windows 10 Home, and only my computer search function was affected after an update about two weeks ago.

The search tools panel had greyed out after the update, please see a prtscr attached (1). 

Thank you.

Eric.

Second that. Same sympthoms here. The Refine options is greyed out.

Difference from OP: Windows 10 Pro & Office 2013

EDIT:

• Rebuilt index, no change
    • Outlook is set to be indexed
    • Windows Search Service is running
    • Prevent searching in Outlook is OFF in registry and Group Policy

SOLUTION:

• Repairing Office solved the problem, got is from from here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/d8a52ff3-d7f8-49b9-b661-8bee53461ab8/outlook-search-categorized-grayed-out?forum=officeitpro

Thanks Steve!

• Edited by szakoka Saturday, January 6, 2018 6:54 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Monday, January 8, 2018 9:34 AM
    Friday, January 5, 2018 3:09 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Thank you.

Eric.

Second that. Same sympthoms here. The Refine options is greyed out.

Difference from OP: Windows 10 Pro & Office 2013

EDIT:

• Rebuilt index, no change
    • Outlook is set to be indexed
    • Windows Search Service is running
    • Prevent searching in Outlook is OFF in registry and Group Policy

SOLUTION:

• Repairing Office solved the problem, got is from from here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/d8a52ff3-d7f8-49b9-b661-8bee53461ab8/outlook-search-categorized-grayed-out?forum=officeitpro

Thanks Steve!

Great! Glad to hear that! Thank you for the confirmation.

@Eric, have you got an opportunity to try a repairing of your Office installation?

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Steve Fan Monday, January 8, 2018 8:49 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Wednesday, January 10, 2018 9:10 AM
    Monday, January 8, 2018 8:48 AM
  • Hi Steve,

Repairing the Office as per instructions below did the magic. Thank you. Eric.

• Repairing Office solved the problem, got it from here:

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 4:20 PM
  • Great! Thank you for the confirmation. I'd appreciate it if you could mark the reply that helps as the answer, so that it will benefit other community members who are encountering a similar issue.

Thank you again for your understanding.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Thursday, January 11, 2018 9:58 AM