Why do sites get locked? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, i had an issue today with a MOSS 2007 server, at least one site collection was locked when people started accessing the system in the morning. This was easily solved (by unlocking the site) but a question remains: why was the site locked? Does anybody know any common reasons why sites become locked? I've went through all the log files and event logs of the MOSS server and SQL Server - there's a backup plan in place, could that be the reason? - but found nothing that could explain it.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thank you.

Monday, October 22, 2012 1:39 PM

All replies

• Site collection backups will lock a site at the start of the backup, and unlock the site when it is completed. Even if there is an error of some sort it should unlock.

However, what is the build of your farm? There was a bug with older versions of MOSS where site collection backups would occasionally forget to unlock the site after the backup. I believe this was resolved in SP2 (I don't recall the exact update that resolve this), it should no longer be an issue in SP3. It is not supposed to be an issue in SharePoint 2010 (I mention this only for reference)

If you are performing site collection backups, you can add a little bit of insurance by forcing an unlock after the backup take place. I assume you are running a batch file that automates the backup. After the command to backup your site collection (stsadm -o backup -url http://yoursitecollection), use the setsitelock stsadm operation to set the lock to none:

stsadm -o setsitelock -url http://yoursitecollection -lock none

This command will force the lock to none, whether the site is locked or unlocked. This means if the site is already unlocked, nothing will happen, but if the site is locked it will unlock it so your users will be able to access the site collection in the morning and keep you getting those early morning calls.

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

Monday, October 22, 2012 2:34 PM
  • Hi Jason, thanks for your reply. The farm has SP2 installed, so probably that might no be the cause; in any case this never happened before. I've read something a "timer lock" - got 2 WFEs in the farm - do you know anything about that?
    Monday, October 22, 2012 2:52 PM