How many SP admins should a company use - any standards? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

Are there any best practices: How many SharePoint administrators (Tier - 3) should a company have?

Say 1 per farm? 1 per web application? Depending on ammount of users (any break up)?

I know it's a very broad question, but if somebody can give me an idea how do companies usually do that and if there is any standard  - I'd appreciate it :)

Thank you.

Wednesday, September 3, 2014 9:35 PM

Answers

• It depends on the business requirements. Obviously if you need 24/7 support, you'll probably need about 3 administrators minimum. But a single administrator, outside of 'projects', should be capable of handling at least a few farms if we're just talking standard day-to-day maintenance. Once you start including assisting end users with changes to sites and so forth, your workload gets much bigger and you may need to add more people.

Trevor Seward

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Proposed as answer by Ransher Singh Thursday, September 4, 2014 9:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rebecca Tu Sunday, September 14, 2014 2:03 PM
    Wednesday, September 3, 2014 9:58 PM

All replies

• It depends on the business requirements. Obviously if you need 24/7 support, you'll probably need about 3 administrators minimum. But a single administrator, outside of 'projects', should be capable of handling at least a few farms if we're just talking standard day-to-day maintenance. Once you start including assisting end users with changes to sites and so forth, your workload gets much bigger and you may need to add more people.

Trevor Seward

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Proposed as answer by Ransher Singh Thursday, September 4, 2014 9:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rebecca Tu Sunday, September 14, 2014 2:03 PM
    Wednesday, September 3, 2014 9:58 PM
  • Hi,Its as per the requirements.Please check the below link that explains on the accounts.

http://expertsharepoint.blogspot.de/2013/11/what-are-accounts-used-in-sharepoint.html

Anil Avula[MCP,MCSE,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP,MCSM] See Me At: http://expertsharepoint.blogspot.de/

Thursday, September 4, 2014 5:10 AM
  • Though there are a lot of other considerations I tell clients at a bare minimum they want 1% of their users to be experts (admins) 9% to be Power Users and the other 90% can be everyone else. That way at any one time at least 10% of your user base has SharePoint expertise.
    Thursday, September 4, 2014 9:12 PM