Outlook 2013 Flag Issues RRS feed

• Question

• I am having issues with Flags in Outlook 2013.  Filtering by flagged items works intermittently.  Sometimes I can't filter at all.  The search bar will show "followupflag:followup flag" but my email list will still show all emails.  Other times the filter will be applied but it does not show all results.  In this case it shows old flags which were cleared days ago and leaves off current flags.  If I scroll to the bottom of the list and select the option to show more emails it will show current results and get rid of the old results.  This was never necessary in the past.  I was always able to view all flagged emails through one-click filtering.

Another issue is that flags are no longer able to be set or cleared with one click.  I now have to click twice to clear a flag (as in Outlook doesn't react at all to the first click, it simply sits there) and unless I've gone through the entire process above (filter, select more) the flag will not actually be cleared and will show up the next time I filter my emails, or if I look at the task toolbar on the right side of the screen cleared items will still be listed.

I've also noticed an issue where all flagged email subjects will be crossed out and both the subject line and preview text is light gray.  I have no idea what is causing this.  Every time I've noticed it it's been when the flagged filter is set but I've made no other selections.

This is a work email account and because of this I'm unfortunately unable to start a ticket with a Microsoft rep online.  My company IT department say it's probably just Microsoft updates and to get used to the new format.  I do not accept this explanation.  I know there's something wrong with my Outlook.

Friday, July 14, 2017 12:53 PM

All replies

• Hi zakeener,

Thanks for posting in our forum.

Does this issue affect other users in your environment?

To help narrow down the issue, please try to start Outlook in safe mode (Press Win + R, type "outlook /safe", press Enter.) and see if there will be any improvement.

Besides, please collect the detailed build number of your Outlook 2013 then we can do further research on this.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 17, 2017 1:14 PM
  • Hi Yuki Sun,

No other users are having this issue.  The build number is 15.0.4937.1000.  Starting in safe mode did not make any improvement.

Monday, July 17, 2017 1:41 PM
  • Hi zakeener,

Have you checked if the build number of Outlook is the same as those on other users' computers?

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 9:46 AM
  • Hi zakeener,

Have you checked if the build number of Outlook is the same as those on other users' computers?

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

The build number is the same across different users' computers.
    Wednesday, July 19, 2017 1:23 PM
  • Hi zakeener,

Please try to repair Office via Control Panel and also check for and install all the available updates for Windows to see if there will be any improvement.

It is also recommended to try creating a new profile and check if the issue still persists.

Any update, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Thursday, July 20, 2017 8:27 AM
  • I am unable to attempt any of these suggestions.  They are only possible with system administrator approval and my IT department will not allow them.  They are refusing to look into the issue any further.
    Thursday, July 20, 2017 12:43 PM
  • Hi zakeener,

As far as I know, repairing Office and creating a new profile generally do not need system administrator approval. Could you please try to refer to the links above and see if they can be helpful?

Besides, it is also recommended to check for and install all the latest updates for both Office and Windows system to check the result.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Monday, July 31, 2017 5:15 AM