locked
Sharepoint 2010 With Oracle Identity Provider? RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello ,

    I am currently using sharepoint 2010 and in classic mode and currently support about 87 site colelctions. I have limited control over active directory and am looking into a secondary user management solution, I wanted to leverage our existing oracle identity provider database to meet that secondary solution.

    In my test farm i was able to successfully conver t a classic mode webapp to a claims mode webapp  now i need to find how to connect sharepoint to oracle to continue my testing. I have tried the SQL solution for user management and am not interested in it. I have tried a secondary active directory but the network team will not allow it as a permanent solution and this policy will NOT change.

    Can someone point me in the right direction i have searched high and low with no luck for an article specifically related to leveraging Oracle identity provider with sharpoint and i am all hyperlinked out. Any help would be greatly appreciated

    Thank You.

    Monday, September 30, 2013 4:09 PM

Answers

  • Given your Oracle identity provider is written in .NET 2.0 - 3.5 and inherits from the MembershipProvider and RoleProvider classes, yes.  You need to edit the web.config for the Web Application, each SecurityTokenService web.config, and optionally (but I recommend it), the Central Administration web.config.

    Trevor Seward, MCC

    Follow or contact me at...
      

    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.


    Tuesday, October 1, 2013 5:38 PM
  • Thanks  and not to take away from anyone's answers but i was looking for more detailed assistance versus a general overview of the process. I ended up successfully implementing ntlm authentication for primary web app and forms authentication for the extended web app for our external users by using the steps outlined in sharepointchicks blog located here http://sharepointchick.com/archive/2010/05/06/configuring-claims-and-forms-based-authentication-for-use-with-an.aspx i modified the connections outlined in the blog to connect to our oracle database versus the SQL provider. It really helped knowing which sections of the config files needed to be modified. the web.config files modified were Central Administration, Security Token Service and that of the WebApplication. all were also identified in the blog sharepointchick's blog.

    Thanks.



    • Marked as answer by rmaazar Monday, October 7, 2013 3:47 PM
    Monday, October 7, 2013 3:47 PM

All replies

  • You would need to either look into a 3rd party SAML provider that allowed authentication to the Oracle identity services, or find a 3rd party/build your own ASP.NET Membership/Role provider that could directly communicate with the Oracle identity services and set up FBA with that membership/role provider.

    Trevor Seward, MCC

    Follow or contact me at...
      

    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

    Monday, September 30, 2013 4:16 PM
  • Wow i can just modify the application web config files and point them to the OID provider?
    Tuesday, October 1, 2013 12:55 PM
  • Given your Oracle identity provider is written in .NET 2.0 - 3.5 and inherits from the MembershipProvider and RoleProvider classes, yes.  You need to edit the web.config for the Web Application, each SecurityTokenService web.config, and optionally (but I recommend it), the Central Administration web.config.

    Trevor Seward, MCC

    Follow or contact me at...
      

    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.


    Tuesday, October 1, 2013 5:38 PM
  • Thanks  and not to take away from anyone's answers but i was looking for more detailed assistance versus a general overview of the process. I ended up successfully implementing ntlm authentication for primary web app and forms authentication for the extended web app for our external users by using the steps outlined in sharepointchicks blog located here http://sharepointchick.com/archive/2010/05/06/configuring-claims-and-forms-based-authentication-for-use-with-an.aspx i modified the connections outlined in the blog to connect to our oracle database versus the SQL provider. It really helped knowing which sections of the config files needed to be modified. the web.config files modified were Central Administration, Security Token Service and that of the WebApplication. all were also identified in the blog sharepointchick's blog.

    Thanks.



    • Marked as answer by rmaazar Monday, October 7, 2013 3:47 PM
    Monday, October 7, 2013 3:47 PM