Missing dll on User startup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

Some days ago we cleaned an XP SP3 installation. It had a pile of Trojans and Spyware, but we finally were able to clean it totally. Or We thought so...

Since the workstation was cleaned, a missing DLL message triggers on user logon. Only for the user who has been using it after and before the malware cleansing.

The DLL is called wiosun.dll. The path for the dll is displayed in the message: c:\Documents and settings\user\local settings\wiosun.dll.

The file is not there, but I have not foung any result on google or bing related to this dll. Indeed, it seems that this library does not exist at all.

How could I trace why windows is displaying this message, i.e. which program is "calling" for this dll?.

Regards.

JSP
    Friday, January 28, 2011 2:29 PM

All replies

• There are several ways to eliminate that message:

Run MSCONFIG, go to the STARTUP tab and see if it's listed there.  If it is, disable it.

Run REGEDIT and search for every occurrence od that DLL's name.  When it finds it, delete it. 

Download AUTORUNS from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx.  Login as that user, run AUTORUNS, find where it's trying to launch the DLL and uncheck it or delete it.

Friday, January 28, 2011 3:42 PM