none
Secondary DPM Server RRS feed

• Question

• I setup a new DMP 2010 server because my original server was having disk problems. I uninstalled some of the agents from systems I was backing up on the old DPM server and the installed the agents again from the new DPM server. The new server works fine. I then have a secondary server which I backup the primary with. The problem I am having is with this server. When I create a new Protection group and expand the new server I don't have Protected Servers in the listing. However when I expand the original DPM server Protected Server is listed and when I expand Protected Servers It list the names of the servers I want to backup from the New DPM server plus it list servers that I know longer have on my network.

How do I get Protected Servers listed under my new server and how do I get the old servers out of the listings of my old server. By the way I did uninstall the agent before I shutdown the old servers.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Lane

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 3:49 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Moving protected servers around between primary DPM servers when a secondary DPM server is in the picture is problematic and is not really supported.  The secondary DPM Server maintains a list of all PS  servers seen on the primaries even when removed from the primary.   We may have a SQL script to help you out, but the script is not public due to the complexities involved with running it properly.  You will need to open a support incident so we can help run it properly.  The only other way around the problem is to rebuild the secondary DPM server from scratch, which in most cases is not desirable.  

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 6:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Moving protected servers around between primary DPM servers when a secondary DPM server is in the picture is problematic and is not really supported.  The secondary DPM Server maintains a list of all PS  servers seen on the primaries even when removed from the primary.   We may have a SQL script to help you out, but the script is not public due to the complexities involved with running it properly.  You will need to open a support incident so we can help run it properly.  The only other way around the problem is to rebuild the secondary DPM server from scratch, which in most cases is not desirable.  

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 6:32 PM
  • Hello Mike!

i am facing a similar Problem with my secondary backup Server.

years ago i installed a dpm Server ("backup") running SCDPM2010.

a few months later i decided to try out secondary protection ("backup2") to protect that Primary Server ("backup")

now my first Server ("backup") has become old and i want to remove him and ga on with just one Server ("backup2")

i tried to deactivate protection Groups and agents on "backup" and tried to add them to "backup2".

i get the error that Primary proteciton is still active and i just could active secondary protection on "backup2".

what can i do to remove "backup" and have all my new backups on "backup2" ?

i am using dpm2012 SP1 latest patch.

thx

alex

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 12:37 PM
  • Hi,

We may have a SQL script to help you out, but the script is not public due to the complexities involved with running it properly.  You will need to open a support incident so we can help run it properly. 

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 3:35 PM
  • Hi!

Could i just do a fresh Installation on "Backup2" and remove the Databases?

Or remove  protection on Primary Server, uninstall DPM on Primary Server?

Is this behavior related on the Primary ("Backup") or the secondary ("Backup2") Server?

>> i can start with a brand new Installation - no Problem but i guess i will have Problems with the Protected Server Connection to a new DPM Server.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:43 PM
  • Hi,

The problem lies on the secondary DPM server, it maintains a list of agents and protected data sources on the primary, even if you stop using that server as a secondary.  The SQL script we have can cleanup the SQL DB on the secondary and allow you to re-protect machines that were at one time protected by the primary.   

If you don't want to open a case, then starting from scratch on the secondary is the only other option.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 3:07 PM
  • Hi!

thank you for your fast Response.

do i need to wipe the whole Server or just uninstall and delete SQL and DPM?

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 3:11 PM
  • Just un-install DPM and chose to delete the replica so you can start over.  Once DPM is un-installed, go into SQL management studio and delete the DPMDB database. Then when you re-install DPM from scratch it can make a new one.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 3:59 PM