Explorer View with only document libraries?? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to provide user with document libraries  (libraries, folders, and files) only when they are in explorer view. How is that possible?
    Friday, September 10, 2010 2:37 PM

Answers

• Hi ewj1. I don't think it is possible to hide those other lists and libraries from just the Windows Explorer view unfortunately. If a user has permission to view in SharePoint Online then they have permission to view in the Windows Explorer view.

Have you considered off-line document editing as an alternative? Using a tool such as Colligo or SharePoint Workspace/Office Groove will give your users the capability to just browse the document library locally. Any changes made can be synchronised back to the server when they are finished editing.

Hope this helps.

Myles Jeffery | Thinkscape | SharePoint Online Deployment | SharePoint Online File Migration Tool
    Friday, September 10, 2010 3:39 PM

All replies

• Hi ewj1. Do you mean how can users navigate document libraries from Windows Explorer without having to go to the SharePoint Online site? If so, you can create a network location which they can access directly from Windows Explorer.

To create a network location that points to a SharePoint Online document library on Windows Vista and Windows 7, open up Windows Explorer, right click Computer and select "Add a network location". Follow the wizard and enter the URL to your document library e.g. https://[yourdomain]-1.sharepoint.microsoftonline.com/mylibrary

The network location will now appear in Windows Explorer.

Hope this helps.

Myles Jeffery | Thinkscape | SharePoint Online Deployment | SharePoint Online File Migration Tool
    Friday, September 10, 2010 2:49 PM
  • Nope doing that allows them to see the sharepoint directory. The directory typically also shows images, lists. etc - that they have access. I want them to just see the documents libraries (not images, lists, etc).
    Friday, September 10, 2010 3:14 PM
  • Hi ewj1. I don't think it is possible to hide those other lists and libraries from just the Windows Explorer view unfortunately. If a user has permission to view in SharePoint Online then they have permission to view in the Windows Explorer view.

Have you considered off-line document editing as an alternative? Using a tool such as Colligo or SharePoint Workspace/Office Groove will give your users the capability to just browse the document library locally. Any changes made can be synchronised back to the server when they are finished editing.

Hope this helps.

Friday, September 10, 2010 3:39 PM
  • Yep, people do it with importing into outlook.  It is OK for staff who are trained but some staff just revert back to Explorer
    Friday, September 10, 2010 5:50 PM