"A new version of this program is available for download" message on FCS server RRS feed

• Question

• This morning, while working on my FCS policies, I noticed the FCS client icon turned orange and upon opening it said "A new version of this program is available for download". I gave it and clicked on Download whereupon it took me to the Download catalog. From what I can see (minus some hotfixes) I'm up to date with my versions....

Client Version: 1.5.1937
    Engine Version: 1.1.3704.0
    Defs: 1.37.1108.0

What could it be finding that I need?
    Orange County District Attorney
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 4:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Sandy,

If i look at my client, i am a little more up-to-date than you -

Client Version: 1.5.1955.0
    Engine Version: 1.1.3704.0
    Antivirus definition: 1.37.1212.0

I often use the MS Update page to check when this kind of things happen - update.microsoft.com as it will show you easily what is needed on the host. Mabye need to check your WSUS for unapproved updates if you use that too ?

Thanks
    Chris

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 8:16 AM
  • Hello, that situation happened to me when i was installing the FCS.
    To solve that issue, i rebooted the pc, and let WSUS updated automatically the FCS program, and not doing that update from the catalog.
    So regarding that, after waiting a while the fcs icon turn green and everything was ok.
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 9:21 AM
  •  Thanks for the good tip, Chris. I checked our WSUS server (Actually our ConfigMgr server) and saw that I only had auto-approvals set on ForeFront Definitions. I added Program Updates to it and now my clients are up to 1.5.1941.0. It works like it's supposed to!

I did manually do a Microsoft Update on my FCS server and it jumpted to 1.5.1955.0. It looks like that version is a Hotfix that may not get pushed into my WSUS, I'm ok with that anyway.

Orange County District Attorney
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 8:22 PM