Update cycle for RemoteApp Start Menu Icons - RDS RRS feed

• Question

• I am using an Active Directory login script to deploy RemoteApp icons to the start menu of a RemoteApp user.  When ever I make changes a RemoteApp Program (add/remove) within the RemoteApp Manager in RDS these changes do not propagate to the RemoteApp list within a users start menu. 

What options do I have to ensure that at some point any RemoteApp changes propagate to the end user?  It would be nice if this is something that would be updated every time a user re-logged into their session. 

Thanks.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 6:33 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately, I was unable to get the login script to work on a consistent bases for deploying RemoteApp icons.  As a result I have gone to pan B.  I have decided to create a Windows Installer package using the RemoteApp Wizard that is available  within the RemoteApp manger to create the necessary RemoteApp Program Icons msi packages.  I then created a SCCM package using the msi files to deploy the icons to a collection of targeted workstations.  This process is much more reliable and it is very easy to remove and reinstall the icons as needed. 

Thanks to all of you who offered their assistance. 

• Marked as answer by bjhoudini Tuesday, August 9, 2011 11:35 PM
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 11:34 PM

All replies

• RADC connections are updated periodically (sorry, I don't know the exact amount of time for this update), but if you want it to make it happen, go to Control Panel, and click RemoteApp and Desktop Connections, then click View details / Update Now, the icons will be updated. Just logging into the RDWA website, or disconnecting in RADC (and then reconnecting via logging into the RDWA website) will not trigger the update.

Hope this helps,

Kristin L. Griffin

SUPER BIG fan of the Remote Desktop Virtualization Team!!!) 

My RDS blog: blog.kristinlgriffin.com

The new Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Services Resource Kit is now available!
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:19 PM
  • Thank you Kristin for your response.  I am currently testing a RemoteApp connection via Windows 7 Thin PC.  I also have disabled access to the control panel for users without elevated permissions. 

I am very surprised that there is not a more effective way to update these start menu icons. 

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 9:03 PM
  • Hi,

The icons should be updating automatically at user logon, and also daily.  You can change the schedule via Task Scheduler under Microsoft\Windows\RemoteApp and Desktop Connection Update.  If you do not see the multiple update jobs listed in task scheduler then something went wrong when the connection to RADC was set up.

-TP

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 12:04 AM
  • TP,

Thanks for your response.  I have changed the schedule via the Task Scheduler for testing.     

It appears that the icons do not update at user logon.  The icons seem to only update during the once-a-day interval and only if the user is logged in.  Otherwise the icons are not updated.  For now, I have given users access to preform a manual update.  It would be nice if these updates would happen during user login.  I'll keep researching. 

Thanks. 

BJ

Monday, July 25, 2011 11:01 PM
  • Unfortunately, I was unable to get the login script to work on a consistent bases for deploying RemoteApp icons.  As a result I have gone to pan B.  I have decided to create a Windows Installer package using the RemoteApp Wizard that is available  within the RemoteApp manger to create the necessary RemoteApp Program Icons msi packages.  I then created a SCCM package using the msi files to deploy the icons to a collection of targeted workstations.  This process is much more reliable and it is very easy to remove and reinstall the icons as needed. 

Thanks to all of you who offered their assistance. 

• Marked as answer by bjhoudini Tuesday, August 9, 2011 11:35 PM
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 11:34 PM
  • This led me in the right direction.  The Scheduled Task can be amended to run at user login, instead of on a time schedule.

Rolled this Scheduled Task out to the users PCs with SCCM.  Problem solved.

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 3:19 PM