none
when send email, the email route to other mailbox server before go to internet

Question

• There are 2 AD site (US, Japan) in my environments.  Each AD site, include 2 Exchange mailbox servers.  I found that when I use US email account send email to Japan users and cc Internet users, the email submit to mailbox server in Japan, then via the Japan mailbox server to internet. 

And when I use Japan email account send email to US users and cc Internet users, the email submit to mailbox server in US, then via the US mailbox server to internet. 

When I use US account send email to US user and cc to Japan users and Internet user, the email will submit to the 2nd mailbox server in US, then, only Japan user email will submit to Japan mailbox server, and the internet email will send directly to internet on the 2nd mailbox server in US. 

May I know, can I change this behavior to:

when I use US account to send email and the mail include only Japan users and Internet user, the internet email will send out directly from the mailbox server that the US account sitting in and do not submit the internet email to Japan mailbox server?

Thanks.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 3:12 AM

Answers

• 1. And when I use Japan email account send email to US users and cc Internet users, the email submit to mailbox server in US, then via the US mailbox server to internet. 

2. I found that the result is, if the recipients are on local server, message will deliver to the 2nd mailbox server in the same AD site first, then deliver back to the original mailbox server. 

1. When a user sends a message from their mailbox, the Mailbox Transport Submission service resolves the message recipients to mailbox databases. 
    If you send a message to multiply recipients ( in your case- one mailbox user and one external recipient), Mailbox Transport Submission service will take first 20 recipients to select a Mailbox server in the closest delivery group (DAG, AD Site, Mailbox Delivery group), based on the proximity of the Active Directory site. So your message first goes to mailbox server in delivery group (US server).
    PLease check this article Mail routing

2. To avoid scenarios where message loss can occur, Exchange attempts to submit or deliver messages over a route that ensures that the primary and shadow copies of messages are stored on different physical servers.
    • Proposed as answer by vgahod Monday, October 10, 2016 6:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by Lynn-LiModerator Monday, October 17, 2016 7:24 AM
    Monday, October 10, 2016 1:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I post this reply here to tell you that we are searching some information about this thread, we will let you know the result as soon as possible.

Thanks for patience.

Regards,

Lynn-Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 9:20 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my research, here is my understanding of the mail flow in your case.

Generally for single site, when we send messages, local server will find the next hop based on the recipients. If the recipients are on local server, message will be delivered to internal recipients first. If the message has external recipients, the message is routed from the Transport service on the Mailbox server to the Internet, or from the Mailbox server to the Front End Transport service on a Client Access server and then to the Internet if the Send connector is configured to proxy outbound connections through the Client Access server.

In multiple AD site, messages will be delivered based on the AD HUB site and cost between AD site. So what's the cost on send connectors on your exchange servers in two sites? And what's the cost between two ad sites?

Refer to this document for more information about Route mail between Active Directory sites

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj916681(v=exchg.150).aspx

Regards,

Lynn-Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 30, 2016 10:15 AM
  • I am just guessing here, but do you have a single send connector to the Internet shared by both sites? If so, Exchange may view the remote site as a valid way to get to the same place. If this is true, configuring a separate send connector to the Internet for each site might help.

Byron Wright (http://byronwright.blogspot.ca)

Friday, September 30, 2016 7:35 PM
  • Hi,

Generally for single site, when we send messages, local server will find the next hop based on the recipients. If the recipients are on local server, message will be delivered to internal recipients first. If the message has external recipients, the message is routed from the Transport service on the Mailbox server to the Internet, or from the Mailbox server to the Front End Transport service on a Client Access server and then to the Internet if the Send connector is configured to proxy outbound connections through the Client Access server.

In multiple AD site, messages will be delivered based on the AD HUB site and cost between AD site. So what's the cost on send connectors on your exchange servers in two sites? And what's the cost between two ad sites?

Refer to this document for more information about Route mail between Active Directory sites

Regards,

Lynn-Li

Hello

I found that the result is, if the recipients are on local server, message will deliver to the 2nd mailbox server in the same AD site first, then deliver back to the original mailbox server.   That mean, when a US user send email to 3 recipients, the 1st is sitting same mailbox server as the sender, the 2nd is internet recipients, the final is Japan user.  The email will deliver to the 2nd mailbox server in US site first, then the 2nd mailblox will deliver the 1st email to original mailbox server, the 2nd email to internet, the final one to Japan mailbox server. 

This result seem different with your expection.

Saturday, October 1, 2016 1:36 AM
  • I am just guessing here, but do you have a single send connector to the Internet shared by both sites? If so, Exchange may view the remote site as a valid way to get to the same place. If this is true, configuring a separate send connector to the Internet for each site might help.

Both sites have their own send connector for internet.  That mean they don't share the internet connector.

The cost for both send connector for internet are same.  Used default cost "1".  When use cmdlet to review the configure, the address space field is "*;1".

Saturday, October 1, 2016 1:40 AM
  • Hello

I found that the result is, if the recipients are on local server, message will deliver to the 2nd mailbox server in the same AD site first, then deliver back to the original mailbox server.   That mean, when a US user send email to 3 recipients, the 1st is sitting same mailbox server as the sender, the 2nd is internet recipients, the final is Japan user.  The email will deliver to the 2nd mailbox server in US site first, then the 2nd mailblox will deliver the 1st email to original mailbox server, the 2nd email to internet, the final one to Japan mailbox server. 

This result seem different with your expection.

Hi,

What I said in the first paragraph is the premise of the second paragraph. Messages are always delivered to mailbox server on local site. Then go to Internet or other site if there are other recipients on internet or other sites. So that's why I want to know the cost between two sites and between the sites and internet.

Have you ever configured Exchange mail routing settings in Active Directory?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj674705(v=exchg.150).aspx

What's the result of the following command on both sites?

Get-AdSiteLink | Format-List Name,ExchangeCost

Regards,

Lynn-Li

Monday, October 10, 2016 2:57 AM

• 1. And when I use Japan email account send email to US users and cc Internet users, the email submit to mailbox server in US, then via the US mailbox server to internet. 

2. I found that the result is, if the recipients are on local server, message will deliver to the 2nd mailbox server in the same AD site first, then deliver back to the original mailbox server. 

1. When a user sends a message from their mailbox, the Mailbox Transport Submission service resolves the message recipients to mailbox databases. 
    If you send a message to multiply recipients ( in your case- one mailbox user and one external recipient), Mailbox Transport Submission service will take first 20 recipients to select a Mailbox server in the closest delivery group (DAG, AD Site, Mailbox Delivery group), based on the proximity of the Active Directory site. So your message first goes to mailbox server in delivery group (US server).

2. To avoid scenarios where message loss can occur, Exchange attempts to submit or deliver messages over a route that ensures that the primary and shadow copies of messages are stored on different physical servers.
    • Proposed as answer by vgahod Monday, October 10, 2016 6:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by Lynn-LiModerator Monday, October 17, 2016 7:24 AM
    Monday, October 10, 2016 1:14 PM
  • I agree with above Explanation, but for external user send connector comes into picture.  I am just curious to knoe send connector configuration in both sites. I mean do you have any smart host configured and what we have defined in connector scopes.
    Monday, October 10, 2016 6:43 PM
  • Send connector comes into picture on message categorization step, after the message has been delivered from Japan server to US server.

"Japan email account send email to US users and cc Internet users" scenario:
    1. The Mailbox Transport Submission service on Japan server uses RPC to retrieve the outbound message from the local mailbox database.
    2. The Mailbox Transport Submission service on Japan server checks first 20 recipients and uses SMTP to send the message to the Transport service on the US Mailbox server.
    3. the Transport service on a US Mailbox server recives message, put it in submission queue, then the categorizer picks up message from the Submission queue and perform following steps: recipient resolution, message birfucation, routing resolution. 
    4. message routed to the Mailbox Transport Delivery service on the same Mailbox server and another copy routed through send connector
    Tuesday, October 11, 2016 10:41 AM
  • Hi,

Regards,

Lynn-Li

I have not set any Exchange cost.  Just use the default.
    Monday, October 17, 2016 2:14 PM

Each site have their own Internet Send Connector.  Since we assume, the Internet email should not route to other regional site to send out.

Monday, October 17, 2016 2:16 PM

1. I read many time of the article Mail routing that you provided.  Do you think this design is a problem?  Due to there are more than 1 mailbox servers in each regional site, but the Exchange the always find other regional Exchange for the closest delivery group.

2. I understand the design is used to avoid loss occur.  But there are more than 1 mailbox server in the same regional location, why the design will find other regional Exchange, not local?

Monday, October 17, 2016 2:25 PM
  • I agree with above Explanation, but for external user send connector comes into picture.  I am just curious to knoe send connector configuration in both sites. I mean do you have any smart host configured and what we have defined in connector scopes.
    Both regional site have there own send connector for internet, the address space for both send connector "*" and the cost are 1.  The difference is the Source Servers setting.  I only include the Mailbox server on their site only.  That mean, the Send Connector for Internet in US only include the Mailbox Server in US, and the Send Connector for Internet in Japan only include the Mailbox Server in Japan. 
    Monday, October 17, 2016 2:29 PM
  • Send connector comes into picture on message categorization step, after the message has been delivered from Japan server to US server.

"Japan email account send email to US users and cc Internet users" scenario:
    1. The Mailbox Transport Submission service on Japan server uses RPC to retrieve the outbound message from the local mailbox database.
    2. The Mailbox Transport Submission service on Japan server checks first 20 recipients and uses SMTP to send the message to the Transport service on the US Mailbox server.
    3. the Transport service on a US Mailbox server recives message, put it in submission queue, then the categorizer picks up message from the Submission queue and perform following steps: recipient resolution, message birfucation, routing resolution. 
    4. message routed to the Mailbox Transport Delivery service on the same Mailbox server and another copy routed through send connector

You point out the thing why I ask a question in this forum.

In your point 2, for the Internet users why will also send to US mailbox server first before go out to internet?  I expect is the Internet email will send out to internet directly from US mailbox. 

But no one can tell me the answer until now in here.  haha
    • Edited by bbs2me Monday, October 17, 2016 2:35 PM
    Monday, October 17, 2016 2:34 PM