none
File content of .rtf files not being crawled RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a site in SharePoint Online where i have stored a set of .rtf files and some pdf's in a document library. I am not getting any search hits for content in the rtf files. I suspect that the rtf files are not being crawled. I do get search results from pdf file content.

According to this document rtf is supported by crawl in SharePoint Online: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219530.aspx 

The documentation also states that rtf is not in the list on the Manage File Types page by default. In SharePoint Online I do not have access to add anything to this list.

Should SharePoint Online crawl rtf files? Any tips on how I can get this working?

Best regards
    Andreas

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 6:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Andreas,

I can reproduce your issue that I cannot get result when I search the content of .rtf files but can get result when I search the name of .rtf files.

When file extension is in the File Types list and there is a Format Handler or iFilter, then the content of the file will also be indexed.

It’s the default behavior since .rtf file is not in the File Type list and we are not able to change the list in SharePoint Online.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, December 28, 2017 3:47 AM