none
Legacy App started working in IE 11 WITHOUT Enterprise Mode! RRS feed

• Question

• The IT department at one of our customers recently upgraded their entire company to IE 11 without warning. This should have broken most of the pages in our legacy Web Application because of the lack of support for IE8 in 'Compatibility View'. But in a GoToMeeting we showed our customer how to turn-on 'Compatibility View' so we could show her which of our pages were broken, BUT THEY WEREN'T!!!  The entire legacy app was working perfectly! 

We spoke with the IT person who performed the upgrade to IE11, and he said he didn't do ANYTHING with respect to creating a Site List, or enabling Enterprise Mode -- and even shared his Group Policy settings file... Nothing!  When we went back and looked at her screen, our legacy app was working in IE11 WITHOUT the Enterprise Mode 'Building icon' to the left of the URL. 

We are left to conclude that on 12/10/2015, he downloaded a version of IE11 that natively handles IE8-level compatibility, and we would to get us some of that! But I can't find it anywhere. Here are the version details:

Version: 11.0.9600.16428
    Update Versions: RTM  (KB2841134)
    Product ID: 00150-20000-00003-AA459

The next version of our Web App is fully IE 11/Edge ready, but it isn't finished yet. But the bits that ARE done work FINE in our customers new IE11, but when we use Enterprise Mode in our own versions of IE11 to 'fix' the legacy app, it breaks our NEW app. I might be able to fix this if I understood more about the Enterprise Mode Site List Manager, but it would be much easier if I had a version of IE11 that didn't need this! One that I could recommend to those of our customers who would like to run our new and old versions in parallel without any futzing about.

• Edited by sweller3 Tuesday, December 22, 2015 4:39 PM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2015 4:36 PM

All replies

• Hi,

display the IE11 dev tool (f12) and select the Emulation tab, it shows which emulation mode is currently used and how it was set... x-ua meta, x-ua header, user compatibility view list, intranet compatibility view list or Enterprise mode site lists.

Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab, check "Always record developer console messages".....

Select the console tab of developer tools to view any error messages and warnings.

there are three document properties you can query.

document.documentMode

document.compatMode

navigator.platform

which tell you the emulation mode, bitness and backward compatibility with pre-HTML5 document types.

Select the File>Properties menu to determine which IE security zone your intranet app is mapped to. It would appear that you are mapping it to the Trusted zone, or you have "display intranet sites in Compatibility view" (Compatibility view settings) unchecked.

There is no magic in HTML or web browsers.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 12:02 AM
  • Thank you, Rob. I'll use your steps to get to the bottom of it the next time I'm 'online' with my client. What I'm hearing is that I will be able to see something in my client's IE 11 browser settings that will outline a procedure I will be able to pass on to my other clients who need to run our legacy app in parallel with our not-yet-complete new version. That WOULD be magic!

Actually, I was HOPING there was actual magic involved, because that would exonerate me from further research! But as our friend Mr. Clarke pointed out: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".

Thanks again!

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 3:32 PM