none
Moving files around - file selection RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Community,

When I drag and drop (or copy and paste) a file into a different folder, say a mp3 from my desktop into my music library, it does not keep the copied file selected in its destination folder--I need to manually search for it to select it again if I want to import it to iTunes (via drag and drop), which can be quite the nuisance since my music folder is quite large. My friend's Windows 7 laptop however does keep the copied file(s) selected until he clicks onto another file. Is there a setting where you can turn this "follow selection" feature on?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Saturday, July 23, 2011 7:06 PM

Answers

• I actually found out the problem.

The problem was with a program called TeraCopy. I use it as it is an enhancement to the default Windows file mover. It allows the user to pause, stop, and verify files when moving.

I uninstalled the program and the problem disappeared. 

Thanks again for your help. 

• Marked as answer by coldside Saturday, July 30, 2011 5:04 AM
    Friday, July 29, 2011 1:15 PM

All replies

• Hi coldside,

Thanks for the post!

If you drag the file and drop it to another folder, it will keep selective until you click another one. It's by default, no "follow selection" need be turned on.

When did that issue happen? recently?

Try a Clean Boot to check if the issue persists.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 3:03 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately even with a Clean Boot, the problems persists. I've noticed that by default the "follow section" should be on, as was the case with my Vista and XP computers, but for some reason my laptop does not like that with Windows 7. Seems to be a rather unique problem.

It has happened since a long time, can't remember for sure. But I am fairly confident that the problem arouse ever since I reformatted my laptop after installing W7 (bought laptop with Vista). I have reformatted several times after and this problem has always persisted. 

I would think it's a registry problem in which a value is just programmed to disable this "follow selection" but I am not tech savvy enough to investigate. 

Thanks again.

Thursday, July 28, 2011 10:02 AM
  • Hi coldside,

it may be a touchpad driver issue.

Does the notebook manufacturer provide drivers for Windows 7?

If no, does the device manufacturer provide Windows 7 generic drivers?

Attach a mouse and test the feature.

Thursday, July 28, 2011 1:13 PM
  • Thanks Nano Warp.

I have recent Synaptic drivers for my touchpad.

The same problems occur for with a mouse. 

Friday, July 29, 2011 12:41 PM
  • Create a new standard user (which you can delete later)

Log in to the new user and test the drag and drop feature\problem with the sample picture files or music files.

Does it work ok?

If yes, your admin user profile is corrupted.

If that is the case, you can backup the settings and etc. and import them to a new administrative group user profile, delete your old and rename the new.

Friday, July 29, 2011 12:59 PM
  • I actually found out the problem.

The problem was with a program called TeraCopy. I use it as it is an enhancement to the default Windows file mover. It allows the user to pause, stop, and verify files when moving.

I uninstalled the program and the problem disappeared. 

Thanks again for your help. 

• Marked as answer by coldside Saturday, July 30, 2011 5:04 AM
    Friday, July 29, 2011 1:15 PM