none
Windows 10 Offline Files via Group Policy

Question

• I have problems when trying to get Offline Files working on Windows 10 (1511 10586.0 and 10586.104) when configuring it via Group Policy.

Manually configuring Offline Files works so that proves that the share is configured correctly and it can work.

I have 2x GPOs - one computer and one user. They're pretty simple - just enabling it, setting the administratively assigned location, and setting it to sync on logon/logoff/suspend. Checking gpresult and RSOP both show that the GPOs are being applied.

If I go to Sync Center and click 'Manage Offline Files' it shows that it is enabled. In 'Set up new sync partnership' it has 'Offline Files' and clicking it tells me to go to Explorer and right click the folder and choose' Always available offline'. In 'View sync partnerships' nothing is listed despite the GPO having a folder set in 'Specify administratively assigned Offline Files'.

If I right click a folder and add it to the sync partnership I can sync it. But the GPO settings to automatically sync during logon/logoff/suspend aren't done. In Sync Centre there are options to setup a schedule - for a specific time and also for events. But these events differ from what is available in the GPO. The GPO has options for logon/logoff/suspend but the manually setup schedule has options for logon/idle timeout/lock/unlock.

It looks like Windows 10 Offline Files differs from what can be configured via Group Policy. Configuring it manually is a silly thing to do when hundreds of users are requiring this - that defeats the purpose of Group Policy.

How can Offline Files be configured for Windows 10 via Group Policy?

Thursday, August 04, 2016 5:33 AM

Answers

All replies

• > I have problems when trying to get Offline Files working on Windows 10
    > (1511 10586.0 and 10586.104) when configuring it via Group Policy.

Carefully check the "supported on" for each setting. A lot of them are
    valid only for XP...

Thursday, August 04, 2016 1:49 PM
  • After a bit more reading it appears that Offline Files cannot completely be centrally configured via Group Policy for Windows 10. The user settings for sync events (login/logoff/suspend) are indeed for 2K,2K3,XP only.

So my last paragraph:

"It looks like Windows 10 Offline Files differs from what can be configured via Group Policy. Configuring it manually is a silly thing to do when hundreds of users are requiring this - that defeats the purpose of Group Policy."

stands true. It is silly to have to configure sync manually on hundreds of laptops!

About all GPO can do is force the enablement Offline Files. It still doesn't actually get it to work! Each and every user has to a) manually do a full sync, and b) manually configure a sync schedule.

It looks like 'Work Folders' is the way forward (http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2013/07/how-to-setup-work-folder-using-group-policy/).

Friday, August 05, 2016 5:05 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, the "Synchronize all offline files before logging off " and "synchronize all offline files when logging on" are no longer available for Windows 7 and later versions.

How to synchronize Offline Files when you log off of Windows Vista

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2007/03/21/how-to-synchronize-offline-files-when-you-log-off-of-windows-vista/

The performance enhancements of Offline Files is a faster synchronization process, please go through the following article to get more information:

Configuring New Offline Files Features for Windows 7 Computers Step-by-Step Guide

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff633429(WS.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 08, 2016 6:15 AM