none
How to Save (just save not submit) a PDP without filling up all the required Custom Fields? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm using Project Server 2013, up to CU August 2013 for Project and CU October 2013 for SharePoint.

The problem here is that in the 2010 version, when I was editing a PDP, the required custom fields were only required when I was going to submit to the next stage, but there wasn't any problem if I was just saving the PDP.

Now in 2013, if you try to save and there are some required custom fields that you don't know the value yet, then it gives you an error saying 'Specify values for all required custom fields.' and it doesn't save anything. This is not a trivial problem, because I'm pushing the Project Managers to fill up all this data properly, and now they can just to do it at the end, just before submitting to the next stage, so they have to save this information in another place :(, by hand in a paper, or an Excel file...

Is there any solution for this issue?

Thank and regards,

José Espases

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 3:17 PM

All replies

• Hi José,

I would suggest :

• in case your custom field contains a look-up table: add to the look-up table a "NA" value for non-applicable, eventually setis value by default.
    • in case it is a text field, ask and training your PM to enter a value such as : "unknown". 

Anyway, maybe I got it wrong, but the required fields being required at the PDP saving, this behavior forces your PM to fill-up properties (required custom fields) at each step of the workflow and not at the end (submission).

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 3:40 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

thanks for your answer.

I don't really like this 'adapted' solution, because if I do that then the required fields will not be required anymore, as they will already have a value, 'NA' or 'Unknown' but, all in all, a value.

In the PDP's I have not a few required custom fields, I have several of them, and as the PM's were collecting the info they were saving it in the PDP's. In 2010 this limitation didn't exist and it will really be a pity to consider now that required means required for saving and not just for submitting, like before.

I'll keep the question here, maybe there will be an answer for it.

Regards,

José Espases

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 4:16 PM
  • Hi All,

has anyone an answer for this issue?

Doesn't make sense to have an option for SAVE and another one for SUBMIT if, regarding the required fields, they are doing the same...

How can I save the information in the PDP before knowing all the answers regarding the required fields? In my opinion it has been a mistake to make this change between 2010 and 2013 versions, is there any possibility to put it back to the normal way?

Please, help me!!

José Espases

Thursday, March 13, 2014 3:23 PM