none
Enable Disk Protection Via Command-Line? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there anyway to enable disk protection via command line? I have setup a script to launch a SID and computer name changer on first boot up (Registry entry I put in before I image 'model' computer)

and on 2nd bootup I would like to add something to automatically start Disk Protection and create the cache file.

Is this possible?
    Thursday, January 10, 2008 9:00 PM

Answers

•  Hi,

It's not possible under SteadyState 2.0.

However, In SteadyState 2.5 beta, two command-line parameters have been added to SCTUI.exe. You can use them to enable or disable Windows Disk Protection (WDP).

To enabled WDP, run the following command from an administrator account:

"C:\Program files\Windows SteadyState\sctui.exe" /EnableWDPAndReboot

To disable WDP:

"C:\Program files\Windows SteadyState\sctui.exe" /DisableWDPAndReboot

You can create a batch file with the command and then deploy it to your computers. More information can be found in the beta version's Handbook:

Windows SteadyState 2.5 Beta Handbook

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D173452A-CE26-4F26-9C30-982F705F84D2&displaylang=en

Best Regards,

Friday, January 11, 2008 5:09 AM

All replies

•  Hi,

It's not possible under SteadyState 2.0.

However, In SteadyState 2.5 beta, two command-line parameters have been added to SCTUI.exe. You can use them to enable or disable Windows Disk Protection (WDP).

To enabled WDP, run the following command from an administrator account:

"C:\Program files\Windows SteadyState\sctui.exe" /EnableWDPAndReboot

To disable WDP:

"C:\Program files\Windows SteadyState\sctui.exe" /DisableWDPAndReboot

You can create a batch file with the command and then deploy it to your computers. More information can be found in the beta version's Handbook:

Windows SteadyState 2.5 Beta Handbook

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D173452A-CE26-4F26-9C30-982F705F84D2&displaylang=en

Best Regards,

Friday, January 11, 2008 5:09 AM
  • The command line switches do NOT work.  Why bother putting them in the documentation?  Tried on several pcs, does nothing.  Waste of time.
    Friday, March 21, 2008 7:38 PM
  • They work great on v2.5.  I use them every day.
    Friday, March 28, 2008 4:39 AM
  • They work if you don't use the silent install.  I guess Windows Genuine Advantage doesn't run that way or something.  Also, it doesn't work running it from the current directory.  You must use the full address.  "C:\Program Files\Windows Steady State\SCTUI.exe" /EnableWDPAndReboot
    Friday, March 28, 2008 9:06 PM
  • I have tried this and the Steady State GUI opens but does nothing more?  I have made sure permissions allowed full access to the Steady State files and checked Event Viewer for information, but turned up nothing helpful. 

I figured out something I did wrong never mind.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 5:42 PM