none
DPM 2010 EUR not working when the protected files are in another domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have an issue that DPM 2010 End User Recovery (EUR) feature works only for the protected file shares in the computer’s domain i.e. if the end user’s computer is not in the same domain as the file server the user won’t get any previous versions.

We have several domains (Windows Server 2008 R2) each in different forest. Let’s call them domain A (core services), B (data services) and C (users and computers). There are two way trusts between each domain.

The DPM server is in domain A. There are 2 protection groups for file shares in domain A and B - \\DomainAServer\FileShareA and \\DomainBServer\FileShareB. The AD schema for domains A and B is extended to support EUR. There are some recovery points available for each protection group.

I log on different computer in each domain and try to restore previous version from each file share. Here are the results I get (Previous Versions Tab):

Restore from:

Logged on:

\\DomainAServer\FileShareA

\\DomainBServer\FileShareB

Computer in domain A

previous versions are available

(no previous versions available)

Computer in domain B

previous versions are available

Computer in domain C

Is the EUR for files in another domain supported from Microsoft?

How to make it work when the file server and the user computer are in different domains?

Thank you in advance,

Daniella Slavcheva

i-Gram

Thursday, August 5, 2010 1:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I received the following feedback.

No. This is not supported. The client and the file server need to be in the same domain.

How to make it work when the file server and the user computer are in different domains?
        You can try to replicate the MS-Sharemapconfiguration container between domains A, B and C.
        (Note -  we haven’t tested this internally -  also if the file server names have conflicting netbios names, EUR will not work as expected.)

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 6:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I am researching this, thanks for your patience.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 12:11 AM
  • Hi,

I received the following feedback.

No. This is not supported. The client and the file server need to be in the same domain.

You can try to replicate the MS-Sharemapconfiguration container between domains A, B and C.
        (Note -  we haven’t tested this internally -  also if the file server names have conflicting netbios names, EUR will not work as expected.)

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 6:37 PM