Windows backup is very slow RRS feed

• Question

• I have am running Windows 7 x64 and am backing up a 120BGB SSD hard drive to an external networked drive. The drive only has around 70 GB of data on it, but backups regularly take 8-10 hours, sometimes longer. I've looked through the forums for answers, but they seem to reference larger hard drives or suggest I run check disk. Is there anything else I can do to speed this up? I have a laptop and I don't leave it on all the time, so making sure the backup has time to run once a week is very inconvenient.

Thanks for any help.

Monday, February 6, 2012 3:23 AM

Answers

• "Kate A E" wrote in message news:884ebf37-dc8a-4ec4-b268-f15e97107606...

I have am running Windows 7 x64 and am backing up a 120BGB SSD hard drive to an external networked drive. The drive only has around 70 GB of data on it, but backups regularly take 8-10 hours, sometimes longer. I've looked through the forums for answers, but they seem to reference larger hard drives or suggest I run check disk. Is there anything else I can do to speed this up? I have a laptop and I don't leave it on all the time, so making sure the backup has time to run once a week is very inconvenient.

Thanks for any help.

What speed is the Network? What sort of Network is it? (If a peer network, what breed of router are you using? – how good is the cabling? – or are you using a Wireless connection?)
    If it’s not a Gigabit or better network, then the speed (or lack of it) isn’t too surprising.
    70GB=560 Gb @80Mb/sec (if you’re lucky!) = 7000sec =112 min  (numbers rounded for ease)
    If there’s any other traffic over the network at all, the chances are that you will only achieve around 40% of the rated speed of your network – so that makes it around 4 hours.
    If it’s a wireless connection – if it’s not N+, then the chances are that you’ll only be getting transfer speed of around 10-20Mb/s, which gives 8-16  hours.

What backup software are you using? Are you using compression? If so, you may find that leaving the backup uncompressed is actually quicker despite the increased transfer size.

The occasional CHKDSK is a reasonable idea – Defrag wouldn’t do anything, since this is an SSD.
    I wouldn’t run CHKDSK weekly , as it will tend to wear out the drive over time.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:40 AM
    Monday, February 6, 2012 11:27 AM

All replies

• "Kate A E" wrote in message news:884ebf37-dc8a-4ec4-b268-f15e97107606...

I have am running Windows 7 x64 and am backing up a 120BGB SSD hard drive to an external networked drive. The drive only has around 70 GB of data on it, but backups regularly take 8-10 hours, sometimes longer. I've looked through the forums for answers, but they seem to reference larger hard drives or suggest I run check disk. Is there anything else I can do to speed this up? I have a laptop and I don't leave it on all the time, so making sure the backup has time to run once a week is very inconvenient.

Thanks for any help.

What speed is the Network? What sort of Network is it? (If a peer network, what breed of router are you using? – how good is the cabling? – or are you using a Wireless connection?)
    If it’s not a Gigabit or better network, then the speed (or lack of it) isn’t too surprising.
    70GB=560 Gb @80Mb/sec (if you’re lucky!) = 7000sec =112 min  (numbers rounded for ease)
    If there’s any other traffic over the network at all, the chances are that you will only achieve around 40% of the rated speed of your network – so that makes it around 4 hours.
    If it’s a wireless connection – if it’s not N+, then the chances are that you’ll only be getting transfer speed of around 10-20Mb/s, which gives 8-16  hours.

What backup software are you using? Are you using compression? If so, you may find that leaving the backup uncompressed is actually quicker despite the increased transfer size.

The occasional CHKDSK is a reasonable idea – Defrag wouldn’t do anything, since this is an SSD.
    I wouldn’t run CHKDSK weekly , as it will tend to wear out the drive over time.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:40 AM
    Monday, February 6, 2012 11:27 AM
  • I would trobleshoot it with Network Monitor. Use either NM from Microsoft

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=4865

or free Wireshark

http://www.wireshark.org/download.html

Without specifying your system it is hard to guess what is the trouble cause: What network do you use, what authentication, what is the load on the target backup system, what mechanism/software do you use, what SMB version does the system set itself,....

If NM does not give appropriate answer to your problem, then make an analysis with Performance Monitor to pinpount possible bottleneck.

Regards

Milos

Monday, February 6, 2012 4:04 PM