NK2 files and outlook 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• So i finally got around to installing windows 7 and as such had to do a new install of outlook 2010.  When I first installed outlook 2010 I had it upgrade me from 2007.  All the nk2 file information seemed to stay intact and I could still have it function as normal.  Before I did the installation to win7 I backed up my whole user files, which included the appdata and all that jazz.  If you don't know nk2 files save all the recently used email addresses and they show up like a favorite when you start typing an email address you already sent an email to.  When I looked for this file i found that it was renamed to an .old file.  It was named outlook.nk2.old.  I tired moving this into the new outlook roaming data folder but it didnt do anything.  If anyone knows how to get the "nk2" file (or whatever it is called now) to move over and work that would be awesome.  Thanks. 
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 12:24 AM

All replies

• outlook 2010 does not use the NK2. It stores the list as a hidden file in the inbox and creates 'suggested contacts' for everyone you send mail to, so you have their addresses should the suggested names list disappear (as the Nk2 had a habit of doing).

If you need to recover the addresses from the old list, see http://www.slipstick.com/problems/nicknamecache.asp for a list of tools you can use to extract the addresses. Paste them into the To field to prepopulate the list.

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
    Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 2:22 PM
  • Hey mate to import your NK2 file into Outlook 2010 please follow my instructions:

http://clintboessen.blogspot.com/2010/05/how-to-import-nk2-files-into-outlook.html

Clint Boessen MCSE, MCITP: Messaging
    Perth, Western Australia

Blog: http://clintboessen.blogspot.com/
    • Proposed as answer by Clint Boessen Thursday, May 20, 2010 11:03 AM
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 11:03 AM
  • Hello Camping147 !

For Outlook 2010....

First, there is no more NK2 file.  The actual file you are looking for is located is:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\RoamCache\Stream_Autocomplete*.dat.

Deleting this file will not clear your AutoComplete list.  As soon as you start Outlook 2010 the file will reappear, along with any bad addresses.  So how does one clear the entire list?

Use one of the methods listed below to reset the Outlook nickname cache for Microsoft Outlook 2010.

Method 1

1. With Outlook 2010 open, click File (BackStage), and then click Options.
    2. Click the Mail tab.
    3. Under Send Messages, click Empty Auto-Complete List.

Outlook will generate a new nickname cache.

Method 2

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. Start Outlook by using the /CleanAutoCompleteCache switch.
      For example: Outlook.exe /CleanAutoCompleteCache
      Note If Outlook is not installed in the default location, you will need to point to the path of Outlook.exe.

This helped me !

Found it at this place http://aspoc.net/archives/2010/05/04/how-to-clear-the-autocomplete-list-in-outlook-2010/

/Niclas

VistaNewbe
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 9:28 AM
  • Thanks Clint, that worked great.
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 2:38 PM
  • What about when I do an in place upgrade from 2007 to 2010. Does the upgrade take care of the import I do I need to do that myself?

Friday, January 28, 2011 7:02 PM
  • i'm having a similar issue.  I tried to import the NK2 file but it didn't work. 

My problem is this,  I just changed computers. Old one = Win XP and Office 2007.  New one Windows 7 professional and Office 2010.

I moved my pst files over ok and got all my mail data and contacts, but the account settings are missing.  If I only had one account that would be fine, but I have 23 accounts with all kinds of rules set up.  

If I can't fix this by tomorrow, I'll have no choice but to recreate all those accounts, but if there is some way to avoid that,  it sure would be nice.

Saturday, May 14, 2011 8:14 PM
  • Just wanted to add my 2 cents. If you installed your Office from the trial version in Click-to-Run mode you'll end up having problems so instead when downloading the trial go to Advanced options and download the full install. 

yaro

yaro
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 12:07 PM
  • What about when I do an in place upgrade from 2007 to 2010. Does the upgrade take care of the import I do I need to do that myself?

I too, would like to know how Outlook 2010 handles the NK2 file.  Does it simply convert it to the new format?  I am rolling out Office 2010 and need to know if I need to back up the NK2 files and convert or will the inplace upgrade to 2010 from 2003 take care of that?

Thanks

Monday, September 12, 2011 4:52 PM
  • We upgraded from 2007 to 2010 and it did it automatically
    Monday, September 12, 2011 5:30 PM
  • Hi Clint

I have done the import correctly, but everytime i restart the computer all the contacts are gone again.

I have to go back and rename the NK2 file again with out the .old on that it keeps replacing it with and reimport.

But as soon as i have restarted its the same story again.

Friday, December 9, 2011 9:25 AM
  • Follow the steps below to Import NK2 Files into Outlook 2010 Suggested Contacts

To import contacts from your old outlook.nk2 file into Exchange 2010 Suggested contacts follow this procedure:

To import .nk2 files into Outlook 2010, follow these steps:

1. Make sure that the .nk2 file is in the following folder:
    %appdata%\Microsoft\Outlook

Note The .nk2 file must have the same name as your current Outlook 2010 profile. By default, the profile name is "Outlook." To check the profile name, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    b. Double-click Mail.
    c. In the Mail Setup dialog box, click Show Profiles.

2. Click Start, and then click Run.

3. In the Open box, type outlook.exe /importnk2, and then click OK. This should import the .nk2 file into the Outlook 2010 profile.

Note After you import the .nk2 file, the contents of the file are merged into the existing nickname cache that is currently stored in your mailbox.

After the import is finished the .nk2 gets renamed with an . file name extension on the first start of Outlook 2010. Therefore, if you try to re-import the .nk2 file, remove the . file name extension.

• Proposed as answer by MR-Maiden Wednesday, November 26, 2014 4:25 PM
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 1:10 PM