Where to post a question about application startup RRS feed

• Question

• I wrote a .NET Framework (C#) Windows Form application that is working on many machines.  One client is having a problem: When attempting to start the application by double-clicking on an application specific document file, only a blank window is displayed - the menu, toolbar, and everything else is missing.  Yet the application starts fine if I simply double-click the icon on the desktop (application opens with no document loaded, but with all the expected components properly displayed.  Nobody else has been able to duplicate this problem.  I have heard of people having this problem with Excel, but don't think (don't know) if that is built on .NET.

The client is running Windows 7 64-bit, which I am also running on my development machine.  Double-clicking on a document file works fine for me.  I have also tried invoking the program from the Windows command line with various errors (improper flags, non-existent document, document in wrong format).  None of them produce this error.  All generate an appropriate error message.

Is this a problem with Windows?  Whee should I post this?

Thanks in advance.

- Michael Bate

• Moved by Caillen Friday, September 12, 2014 3:03 AM
    Thursday, September 4, 2014 12:44 AM

Answers

• http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?forum=w7itprogeneral

I'll also say that a guy in the VB.NET forum had a problem with a Win 7 machine running his VB.NET solution. He tried a lot of things on the single Win 7 machine to fix the problem on that lone machine, like uninstalling and reinstalling the .NET Framework, etc. All other Win 7 machines worked with his application. He finally broke down and had the Win 7 machine rebuilt by reinstalling the O/S, and the solution started working.

Just FYI....

• Proposed as answer by Caillen Friday, September 12, 2014 3:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Monday, September 22, 2014 8:56 PM
    Thursday, September 4, 2014 2:25 AM

All replies

• It sounds like a windows problem. Otherwise, it would be failing on all the machines. You may want to post to a Technet forum for the O/S. It may be that machine only.
    Thursday, September 4, 2014 1:53 AM
  • http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?forum=w7itprogeneral

I'll also say that a guy in the VB.NET forum had a problem with a Win 7 machine running his VB.NET solution. He tried a lot of things on the single Win 7 machine to fix the problem on that lone machine, like uninstalling and reinstalling the .NET Framework, etc. All other Win 7 machines worked with his application. He finally broke down and had the Win 7 machine rebuilt by reinstalling the O/S, and the solution started working.

Just FYI....

• Marked as answer by Just Karl Monday, September 22, 2014 8:56 PM
    Thursday, September 4, 2014 2:25 AM
  • Thanks for your reply, BUT:

Can someone tell me where to go to post to a "Technet forum for the O/S."  I see what appears to be a "TechNet" forum but if I ask a question there it asks me to select a forum category.  The closest category appears to be "Windows 7 IT Pro" but I don't understand what the "IT " is about and also I don't know if the client with the problem is running Windows 7 64-bit Pro or some other variation of Windows 764-bit.

Also I just got an email saying that "A forums thread you have subscribed to has been moved by Caillen Zhong! " but not telling me where it was moved to!

Friday, September 12, 2014 3:16 AM
  • IT probably means Information Technology on a wild guess.
    Monday, September 22, 2014 9:01 PM