none
BACKUP SQLSERVER RRS feed

• Question

• If I have a sqlserver database, if I take a full backup, differential or log, the data to be recorded in the mdf, ndf and ldf while backapea, not reflected in the backup ....
    end, it is so or am I wrong ...
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 4:00 PM

Answers

• I think I understand your question.

All data modifications are saved to the backup (full or transactional) while backup process is running. So the backup contains the state of the database at the end of the backup process and not at the start of the backup.

m@te

• Proposed as answer by Fanny LiuModerator Monday, May 6, 2013 10:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by neonash Tuesday, May 7, 2013 7:32 PM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 5:11 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking for the difference between a full vs. a differential vs. a t-log backup? See the Pinal Dave's post on database backups, I believe this should address your question.

http://blog.sqlauthority.com/2009/07/14/sql-server-backup-timeline-and-understanding-of-database-restore-process-in-full-recovery-model/

Tommy Bollhofer

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 4:06 PM
  • I think I understand your question.

All data modifications are saved to the backup (full or transactional) while backup process is running. So the backup contains the state of the database at the end of the backup process and not at the start of the backup.

m@te

• Proposed as answer by Fanny LiuModerator Monday, May 6, 2013 10:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by neonash Tuesday, May 7, 2013 7:32 PM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 5:11 PM
  • If you looking for the difference between full, differential and log backup then please find below,

A full backup copies all pages in the database that are in allocated extents.

A differential backup copies all pages which have been modified since the last full backup.

A transaction log backup copies the contents of the transaction log since the last transaction log backup.

Thanks & Regards RAJUKIRAN L Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 5:14 PM
  • See this about SQL Server backups:

http://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertutorial/6/types-of-sql-server-backups/

André CR / Helped? If the answer is yes mark! If the answer is no, wait a little bit because i'll back! Visit my blog! sqlmagu.blogspot.com.br

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 12:02 AM