none
Windows 7 SP1 updates - Best way to update base install OS? RRS feed

• Question

• We are using MDT 2013 Update 2 and Win 7 SP1 Enterprise. Is there a way to download all of the current updates into the Win 7 install so when building new images from the base OS we are not pulling down 200+ updates?

Thanks

Chris

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 1:21 PM

All replies

• There are ways, but it it is hard to manage.
    Especially superseedence and stuff like that will make you not want to use this.

Is there any problem to reference a WSUS during the image building process?
    I would not consider this overkill at all and it should not be worth to improve on this.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 6:03 PM
  • Hi

You can use a WSUS server.

If you what the patch offline and inject them doing the patch fase of MDT just download all patch with wsusoffline - http://www.wsusoffline.net/

Kind regards
    Per Larsen
    Twitter: @PerLarsen1975 | Blog: osddeployment.wordpress.com
    If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 6:03 PM
  • Just build your reference image in a VM and enable Windows update in the task sequence. Once your base image has all those updates in it when you deploy the only updates that will need to be added in the future are the ones since the last time you built your image.

See - http://www.deploymentresearch.com/Research/tabid/62/EntryId/174/Building-reference-images-like-a-boss.aspx

The same principles apply no matter which OS version you are building an image for. Since I build in a VM, I always add a suspend task after updates are applied and then shut the machine down and make a checkpoint (snapshot) of the VM before continuing the task sequence. A month or two later I roll back to the checkpoint run Windows update, make another snap shot and then continue the TS again to capture a new updated image. This way my rollouts don't spend much more than a few minutes adding needed patches.

• Proposed as answer by freeAppz Thursday, January 28, 2016 3:03 PM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2016 6:31 PM
  • Just build your reference image in a VM and enable Windows update in the task sequence. Once your base image has all those updates in it when you deploy the only updates that will need to be added in the future are the ones since the last time you built your image.

See -

The same principles apply no matter which OS version you are building an image for. Since I build in a VM, I always add a suspend task after updates are applied and then shut the machine down and make a checkpoint (snapshot) of the VM before continuing the task sequence. A month or two later I roll back to the checkpoint run Windows update, make another snap shot and then continue the TS again to capture a new updated image. This way my rollouts don't spend much more than a few minutes adding needed patches.

That's exactly how I do it!
     Work like a charm!
    • Edited by freeAppz Thursday, January 28, 2016 3:06 PM
    Thursday, January 28, 2016 3:05 PM