Sharepoint site is down RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, my sharepoint site cannot be accessed from other PCs but only from within the server. It used to work fine. But this happened suddenly. When I added the IP to the hosts file, it worked fine. Any ideas?
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 7:18 PM

Answers

• Ok so your load balancing IP is not been configured to accept requests. Secondly because you have a load balancing infra, you must be using a domain name that in turn points to the load balancing IP. Can you see if the domain name does resolve the IP. 

Secondly you may also have to configure Alternate Access Mappings to accept such URL or if you have configured the Load Balancing URL while creating application would also work. 

Thanks, Mayur Joshi
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Monday, July 18, 2011 7:51 AM
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 6:13 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, when you added the IP to the hosts file, it worked fine. I assume you're using Alternate Access Mappings? If this is the case, then the computer you're using to access your MOSS site can't really figure out how to find the site's URL. You'll have to tell your computer what IP address with which the URL is associated.

Alternatively you could probably just use the server name instead of the pretty URL.

Best Regards
    David Hu
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 1:26 AM

All replies

• how do the other machines access the SharePoint site? using machine name of the server or using the fully qualified URL?

in either case looks like a DNS issue to me. Can you try to do a ping to the domain name?

Thanks, Mayur Joshi
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 7:28 PM
  • Here is the thing now. There are two WFEs. If I go to the IP of one, it fails. If I go to the IP of the other WFE, it works fine. This is some load balancing issue.
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 9:32 PM
  • Ok so your load balancing IP is not been configured to accept requests. Secondly because you have a load balancing infra, you must be using a domain name that in turn points to the load balancing IP. Can you see if the domain name does resolve the IP. 

Secondly you may also have to configure Alternate Access Mappings to accept such URL or if you have configured the Load Balancing URL while creating application would also work. 

Thanks, Mayur Joshi
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 6:13 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, when you added the IP to the hosts file, it worked fine. I assume you're using Alternate Access Mappings? If this is the case, then the computer you're using to access your MOSS site can't really figure out how to find the site's URL. You'll have to tell your computer what IP address with which the URL is associated.

Alternatively you could probably just use the server name instead of the pretty URL.

Best Regards
    David Hu
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 1:26 AM