none
Create a task that does not allow simultaneous tasks RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to create a task that would restrict all other tasks in the project.

I have about 150 tasks in the project on most of them have relationships.

One specific task is manually scheduled and while this task is active, no other tasks can continue. So there is need for more than just simple relationships - if another task is scheduled for the duration of this specific task, it should basically be inactive for the duration of this one restrictive task.

The best example I can give you is a construction site. Many tasks can be linked and can be scheduled, but when you pour concrete, all other scheduled tasks must wait until the concrete is dry.

Is there any way to make one task "superior" to the others, and so disallow other tasks to continue during this tasks duration?

Thanks in advance for any answers! (Hope you can understand my dilemma :) )

Monday, October 15, 2012 9:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The only way I know to do this is using resoruce leveling.

All tasks should have an extra work resource "Site Availability" for instance. Pouring concrete should be either manually schedules or have 1000 priority. Now do Resource leveling nd you will see.

Note - to avoid the adding of resource Site availability would change duration of  the tasks, they should NOT be fiwed work and have effort driven off.

Greetings,

Monday, October 15, 2012 5:53 PM
  • Ville, I think Jan's solution is the more elegant but another possible approach would be to exploit the calendar functions. Set up a copy of the project calendar and apply this to the Concrete pouring task. Then, when the time comes to pour the concrete, add an exception to the Project calendar that covers the duration of concrete pouring.

Graham

Monday, October 15, 2012 11:59 PM
  • Big thanks to both of you!

I will try those out today, and see if it fits my needs.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 5:44 AM
  • Hi,

I tried to follow your instructions, but maybe I missed something?

I made a test-case with three summary tasks with three tasks per summary.
    I created a work resource called "Site availability".
    I set all tasks priority to 500, except for one task (the "pouring concrete" task) to 1000.
    All tasks are set to "Fixed Duration" and effort driven is Disabled.
    All tasks are auto-scheduled.

All tasks are linked (Finish-to-Start), except for the "Pour Concrete"-task.

In "Levelling Options" I've seen to that "Levelling can create splits in remaining work" is checked.

Now, when I use the "Level Resource" function (or changing the "Pour Concrete"-task to manually scheduled), there is a one day delay between the previous task and "Pour Concrete". I'd like for the task that was scheduled (automatically) to the same time frame as the "Pour Concrete"-task to be split, so that the one-day "buffer" would be filled.

EDIT: In my case I'd like for the task "Part 1" in "Group 2" (ID 6) to start 26.10.2012, go on for one day, then split for the duration of "Pour Concrete" and then continue when that task is done (5.11.2012, after the weekend).

The image above is the Gantt-view before levelling.

The image above is after Levelling.

Hope you can interpret my explanation :)

• Edited by Ville B Thursday, October 18, 2012 7:00 AM Specifying names of tasks affected/unaffected.
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 6:38 AM
  • Hi,

For leveling to be able to split tasks, the general option allowing tasks to split has to be on as well. In Project 2010 that one is found in File, Options, Schedule, abbout half way down the page, "Split in progress tasks".

Greetings,

Thursday, October 18, 2012 4:32 PM
  • Hi,

For leveling to be able to split tasks, the general option allowing tasks to split has to be on as well. In Project 2010 that one is found in File, Options, Schedule, abbout half way down the page, "Split in progress tasks".

Greetings,

I already had this checked. Weird...

For our use, a task specific setting "Dominating task" (or some such), would be really helpful. I'm sure other project managers would have use of such a feature. This dominating task would not allow any other tasks to go on simultaneously and would split and/or reschedule simultaneous tasks.

Friday, October 19, 2012 12:24 PM
  • Hi,

We cabn dream about future features but the way I suggest does exactly that. Is it OK now?

Greetings,

Friday, October 19, 2012 3:25 PM
  • Hi,

Unfortunately no. I went through the options, and the setting was already checked.

Friday, October 19, 2012 3:35 PM
  • Hi,

Let me stop guessing. Send me the file at

jandemesATprom-ade.be

(replace AT by @)

Greetings,

Friday, October 19, 2012 6:07 PM