none
Licensing requirements for DPM 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm trying to work out what license(s) I need for DPM 2016.  I have looked at the System Center Licensing Data Sheet but am still unsure as to what I need.  I will be protecting the following:

• 2 x Hyper-V Servers (Windows 2016) with 9 x VMs distributed across the 2 of them (all Windows 2012 R2 through to Windows 2016)
    • 2 x Windows 2012 R2 Physical Servers
    • 1 x Windows 2016 Physical Server
    • 1 of the VMs will be an Exchange server

I will of course also be protecting the DPM server itself and would need to be able to add other servers into the protection groups further down the line.

Thanks

Chris

Wednesday, October 3, 2018 8:44 AM

Answers

• Hello Chris!

The System Center 2016 server MLs is core based. To license the OSEs under management, all physical cores must be licensed in the server being managed.

A minimum of 8 core licenses is required for each physical processor in the server and a minimum of 16 core licenses required for each server.

Standard Edition provides rights to manage up to 2 OSEs when all physical cores in the server are licensed. Multiple licenses can be assigned to the same cores to manage additional OSEs.

Since this is a technical forum, your best answer would still be to contact Microsoft Licensing, this way you will definitely get the correct information.

Hope you found this useful!

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Proposed as answer by Leon Laude Wednesday, October 3, 2018 8:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by chris624 Wednesday, September 25, 2019 10:24 AM
    Wednesday, October 3, 2018 9:03 AM

All replies

• Hello Chris!

The System Center 2016 server MLs is core based. To license the OSEs under management, all physical cores must be licensed in the server being managed.

A minimum of 8 core licenses is required for each physical processor in the server and a minimum of 16 core licenses required for each server.

Standard Edition provides rights to manage up to 2 OSEs when all physical cores in the server are licensed. Multiple licenses can be assigned to the same cores to manage additional OSEs.

Since this is a technical forum, your best answer would still be to contact Microsoft Licensing, this way you will definitely get the correct information.

Hope you found this useful!

Best regards,
    Leon

• Proposed as answer by Leon Laude Wednesday, October 3, 2018 8:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by chris624 Wednesday, September 25, 2019 10:24 AM
    Wednesday, October 3, 2018 9:03 AM
  • Thanks Leon,

I've contacted the company we get our software from and will see what they say.  I have sent them a list of what we want to backup and will see what they come back with.

Cheers

Chris

Wednesday, October 3, 2018 3:54 PM
  • You're welcome, regarding licensing it's always better to contact Microsoft or any other vendor directly, as you want to avoid having too few or too many licenses, you want a certain answer :-)

Wednesday, October 3, 2018 8:48 PM