none
SharePoint Online BCS and Word 2016 Problem

Question

• Hi,

I'm using an external data source (SQL Azure DB) with SharePoint Online BCS. I've built a document library, where I'm using the external data in a column. In SharePoint everything is working fine so far.

Then I've created a Word template for the library, where I use the External Data Field. When I create a new document from this template, fill out the External Data Field in the document and click the button to check, if the item exists, I get the following message: "In order to pick external items you must have Microsoft Business Connectivity Services client components installed", followed by I link. I've opened it and installed the required components, but the message still comes up.

After some googling, I've found out, that in Office 2013 it was possible to add the Business Connectivity Services client components by modifying the Office installation. Since I have Office 365 ProPlus, this doesn't seem to be possible anymore. According to the Office 365-Site, I'm even not able to switch back to Office 2013 anymore.

How can I get BCS with Office 2016 working?

Thanks and regards

Sebastian

Friday, April 28, 2017 10:19 AM

All replies