FCS and exclusions on Ntuser.dat RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I have a problem with FCS and exclusions

We have activate a setting “Delete user profiles older than a specified number of days on system restart” with a value of 5 days. The problem is that the profiles never deletes after 5 days because when FCS scans the computer it changes the time stamp for NTuser.dat. We run Quick Scan on over computers every day…. So Deleting the Profiles does not work.

We have tried  different exclusions on fcs like:

%UserProfile%\NTUSER.DAT

NTUSER.DAT

C:\Users\%username%\NTUSER.DAT

*.DAT

But it still not working, Is this a problem with all antivirus solutions or only for FCS?

Computers is running  Windows vista with sp1

FCS SP1

Regards,

Thomas

Thursday, November 27, 2008 9:17 AM

All replies

• This appears to be a problem with more than just FCS. Symantec does it. Also windows defender does it as well. Microsoft told me yesterday that it is a problem with vista that they have been working on since Aug. With no solution in sight.

But I tried the exclusions with symantec and it still updates the timestamp..
    Friday, January 9, 2009 3:52 AM
  • I am experiencing this same problem. Left symantec and moved to Forefront. Thought this problem was all resolved by moving to Forefront. Now a month later we have noticed that the profiles are piling up on the machines a couple hundred per computer. Deleting them manually is painful as we have a few hundred machines with a few hundred profiles. My best bet is to go in and modify the registry setting for the group policy through script to make it a Zero so we can start over with the profiles as the GP does not allow anything less than one through the GUI. Please can we get this resolved or apply a zero day setting in group policy.

I have tried the same exclusions as ThomasMo still no luck. Has anyone found a solution/work around?
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 4:34 PM
  • I have been having the same problem with profiles not deleting using Symantec. Have been working with Microsoft and Symantec for about a year trying to get this resloved, back and forth. Finally Microsft acknowleged the issue and have been working on a hotfix for the problem. The testing is done and the hotfix already has been approved, just needs to finish testing. I should have the test file this week and hopefully everything will be corrected. This hotfix, when completed, will also work with Windows 7. They could not get this fix into the final Windows 7, so it should be included in SP1, when it comes out.

Wednesday, July 1, 2009 2:55 PM
  • The hotfix is completed and been posted. Tried it and fixes the issues.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/973148
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 11:56 PM