none
ILR of filerserver Hyper V vm throws up errors RRS feed

• Question

• ILR on a VM errors 99% of the time while loading.  The VM is a 3.5TB file server and after I click through the volume to the share, it may load a few thousand files and then error.  There is 26000 folders.  What’s weird is sometimes (not often) it will just click through the vhd folders and load all files as expected.  I would also love to browse the vhd that DPM loads in the DPM folder, but can’t access it.  I really want this to work as ILR especially is a great feature! 

We are using DPM 2016 rollup 6 on a VM with 12 cores and 12 GB ram.  Other (smaller) vm's volumes load perfectly.

The errors: -

DPM failed to access the path NO_PARAM - ID39

DPM cannot browse the contents of the virtual machine on the protected computer...... - ID958

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

Sunday, December 23, 2018 8:00 AM

All replies

• Can you check if Hyper-V Role is installed on your DPM Virtual Machine?

Microsoft Certified Professional

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Monday, December 24, 2018 6:17 AM
  • Yes the Hyper-V role is installed.  Other VM's that I have backed up I can browse through fine.  Sometimes very rarely I can browse through the fileserver volume from any restore point.  Mostly though I get the errors and see that the mounted volume disappears.  If I keep clicking and trying I may be able to drill down to the folder/file I want but this takes a lot of attempts. Not great for restores...

Monday, December 24, 2018 8:52 AM
  • I figure. I'm not enterally sure, but it could be that ILR have some limitations or your DPM performance is not "good enough". In my opinion 3.5 TB and 26000 folder is quite a lot and I would think about guest level backup. With this you could configure more frequent synchronizations if required, also the restore process will be faster and easier then with ILR. Personally I prefer guest level recovery for larger file servers because the overall backup experience is better. 

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered"Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Monday, December 24, 2018 10:58 AM
  • That's what I was thinking, that it is timing out trying to load all the folders.  I do back the share up multiple times a day,  but can only do this for 30 days because of VSS limitations (64 recovery points).  I am backing up the whole VM for a year for long term backups. At another site we use veeam and ILR works perfectly.  Is there no way to gain access to the mounted read only vhd?

Thanks.

Monday, December 24, 2018 11:08 AM
  • Are you using deduplication on the file server volume? 

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Monday, December 24, 2018 12:00 PM
  • No dedup on fileserver or dpm as I'm using MBS REFS.
    Monday, December 24, 2018 1:33 PM
  • Hello Nathan!

Your described issue is strange indeed, it seems that there is a timeout that occurs, as you are sometimes able to browse the files and sometimes not.

As far as I know there is no limitation for Item Level Recovery (ILR), but there could still be one, but if it works sometimes I doubt this would be the cause.

It would be interesting to know the root cause of this, did you have a look if the link below?

ReFS volume using DPM becomes unresponsive on Windows Server 2016
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4035951/refs-volume-using-dpm-becomes-unresponsive-on-windows-server-2016

You could also have a look at the registry settings for the agent communication on the link below:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/dpm/2015/05/20/an-in-depth-look-at-the-registry-settings-that-control-microsoft-dpm-2012/
    (Should be mostly the same in DPM 2016 I believe)

Have you also checked the DPM log on both the DPM server and the protected server for any more clues?

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Tuesday, December 25, 2018 12:27 PM