none
Why doesn't Healthvault print lab test results when you select this to print? Its useless without the actual result RRS feed

• Question

• I don't understand the logic to print the lab test group, status, ordered by and date without the actual result. 

Adding the ability to print out everything in a decent format is awesome but it really needs the actual lab results included in the printout.

Sunday, March 16, 2014 4:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Jim,

This is definitely an area we want to improve. In the meantime, you have a few options to get the printout you want.

You can open the Details (click the down arrow to the right of the lab panel in the table) for an item and click the Print button that appears in the Details area for the individual lab panel. It will create an HTML page that you can print. You would then do this for each lab panel you want to print.

Or, open Details of all the panels you want to print and then use your browser's print function to print the whole page. This won't be as nicely formatted as printing from the Print button on each Details pane but could be faster and save some paper.

Hope this helps. And thanks for the feedback about what would be useful to you.

-Kathy-

Monday, March 17, 2014 6:58 PM
  • I appreciate the quick response. Unfortunately the workaround you describe isn't realistic. A typical battery of tests from a normal annual physical contains over 20 tests/results. Multiply this by 5 years and you have over 100 data points. Printing it out as you suggest gives you two results per page on a normal page size or 50 pages.

No doctor is going to look through 50 pages of data in the small amount of time they have these days to look for an individual result or if a result has changed over time. The layout that you have provided for other metrics (i.e. cholesterol, bp, etc) would work great for all lab results and printing them out in alpha order like the other items in an overall print summary would be awesome.

Not being able to get information out of HV in a useable format is the biggest detractor to me using it (i.e. I am not going to take the time to do data entry if I can't get the information out in a way that I or my doctor can use it effectively). Until this is resolved, from a user perspective, it is actually easier and more effective to use an Excel spreadsheet formatted like your print output than HV.

I'd love to get some specific dates when the rest of the lab results will be available in the print output so I can start using HV again.

Thanks

Jim

Monday, March 17, 2014 8:02 PM
  • I agree.  It makes no sense to export the status, ordered by and date of the lab results if I am not able to export the actual result.  What kind of thinking was put into that?  Without clicking on each test I am not able to see the result.  They need to make it a bit more user friendly.

Keith

• Edited by Keith666 Friday, August 29, 2014 7:05 PM error
    Friday, August 29, 2014 7:05 PM
  • Hi, Jim,

We have updated the Print feature. You can now print the lab results the way you requested above, so that it displays all the details for all labs you're printing. In addition, before you print, you can filter the lab reports by date so that you're only printing the ones you want. Please see this blog post for more information: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/healthvault_team/archive/2014/08/14/you-talk-healthvault-listens.aspx

-Kathy-

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 7:32 PM
  • Hi, Keith,

Jim was asking about Print, and that feature is updated. You're asking about Export. Exporting to a spreadsheet doesn't work well for data that is structured the way lab test results are, with groups and subgroups of data.

You might find that for what you're trying to achieve, using the new Print > Details feature and then either saving the print-ready HTML page as a file or copying its text to the Clipboard will work for you.

-Kathy-

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 7:38 PM
  • Thanks Kathy. This makes the product usable for a typical scenario where you need to share your health records with new doctors (most of whom won't use the sharing feature due to HIPAA concerns).

Two suggestions. First, make the list sortable by the headers and second, work on the formatting of the output so that all columns are lined up (seems like if the test result is long, is offsets the other information - difficult to read).

Jim

Wednesday, September 3, 2014 5:02 PM
  • It would be so much more user friendly if this could export the data directly to an excel or cdv format. A suggestion to structure this would be to have a column with test name and another with date and then repeat the test name for each new entry. 

Jim

Wednesday, September 3, 2014 5:07 PM