none
dpm 2012 remote administration - windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

I am doing a POC with DPM 2012 RC.  DPM2012 server has been setup and is working so far. I am trying to connect the DPM console for administration using Remote administration feature installed on my windows 7 machine. I am unable to connect and getting the error as:

Unable to connect to <dpm server name with FQDN >(ID:948)

Verify that the DPM service is running on this computer.

I dont see any service being installed on windows 7, am I missing anything or any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 6:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Newsplaner,

Could you verify :

1. You are able to ping <FQDN DPM Name> from your Windows 7 client
    2. Verify that your account is local admin both Seven and DPM server

Stephane.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 7:17 PM
  • Thanks Stephane for your response.

Yes. I am able to ping DPM FQDN. and I am also administrator both on DPM and my Windows 7 client.

i dont see any event log errors or log file at the DPM installation path. any other ideas?

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 7:22 PM
  • Hi,

I'm using W2K8R2 client and is working fine :)

Could you verify that WinRM is working on your client windows seven ?

=> Open command prompt with administratives privileges and type winRM

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 7:57 PM
  • Yes it is started. Infact I tested using WIN 2008r2 client still no luck:

Unable to connect to <dpm server name with FQDN >(ID:948)

Verify that the DPM service is running on this computer.

Friday, August 10, 2012 6:15 PM
  • Hi Newspleaner,

On your Windows 7, do you have UAC turn on ? Try to turn off ?

Could you do network trace (Network monitor or Wireshark) to see the communication between your client and DPM Server when you try to use remote DPM console ?

Stephane

Saturday, August 11, 2012 10:23 AM
  • Hi Newspleaner,

I did fresh install of windows 7 SP1, then i installed DPM 2012 (RTM) Remote Administration Console. 

Everything is working... I could open the console and connect to DPM2012 server with FQDN name.

Communication between Remote Administration Console and DPM server use TCP dynamic port. You should verify that you don't have FW/Router that filtrated TCP Dynamic ports. 

Stephane

Sunday, August 12, 2012 2:23 PM
  • Hi,

Please check the below KB.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff934577.aspx

Hope that helps.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

• Edited by Laith_IT Monday, August 13, 2012 7:54 AM
    Monday, August 13, 2012 7:54 AM
  • I realize this is an old topic, but I was wondering if you ever got this to work.

Thanks,

Reid

Monday, November 18, 2013 2:24 PM
  • No-one has said they have set their console to connect to the remote DPM server, so here's my two pennies' worth:

On a remote machine console assumes it is connecting to a local DPM server.

this is my shortcut:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM2012SP1\bin\Microsoft System Center 2012 Data Protection Manager.msc" -DPMServerName dpm.domain.com

See if this fixes it for you.

Mark

Monday, March 31, 2014 8:04 AM