Some Windows 10 clients suddenly not automatically installing pending updates RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I've got about 200 clients configured to use one of our WSUS servers - this has been up and running for at least a year and has been mostly OK.

However, there are a few computers (about 15-20) that suddenly aren't installing the latest 2019-07 updates even though they are showing as Pending within WSUS and on the client itself.  Windows Update on the clients show the update as Pending, with an Install Now button

On the majority of our clients normal reboots will install updates, without the user ever having to do anything manually so i don;t know why i've suddenly got this issue.

All clients are using the same GPO with the latest ADMX files etc. and there is nothing that i can see that is different about them than any other client that is installing the update automatically.  I know i can deadline the updates to (probably) force the issue, but i've never needed to do this before.

Please could you anyone let me know if they have any ideas?

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 12:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, I recommend that you consider enabling the following group policy:

• [Computer Configuration > Policies> Administrative Templates > Windows components > Windows Update]
      Set 'Allow Automatic Updates immediate installatio' to enabled. 

And please note that updates to interrupt service or restart Windows are not automatically installed, as far as I know, cumulative updates almost always require a system reboot.

Also, if you have configured 'active hours', it may happen that the update cannot be installed immediately.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 2:01 AM
  • Hi Yic,

Either I've explained the problem badly or you've misunderstood my explanation.

The problem is that the computers aren't installing the updates even when the computer is rebooted, even though you can see them sat as Pending in Settings >> Windows Updates.

I have managed to sort this on a couple of systems by deleting the SoftwareDistribution folder.  I've had to do this before occasionally, but never on 15-20 machines at the same time but i'll try this on the other systems and see if it resolves it.

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 7:45 AM
  • Hi,

I am sorry that I did not quite understand your question correctly.

As you said, resetting the SoftwareDistribution folder is a common solution.But as curious, if you try to restart your computer multiple times, can you revert to the updated installation state? I am not sure if this is due to some installation preconditions that are not met by the preconditions.

Of course, I hope that this problem can be solved by your method. Looking forward to your follow-up progress!

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 25, 2019 2:51 AM