Office programs lock up when opening from mapped webdav share RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I've configured mod_dav on apache to enable several employees in my organisation to share files remotely and I've made a batch file that mounts and unmounts these shares using "net use" in windows and the webdav-mini-director which works well except for with office documents.

For every other kind of document I can simply double click on the file in the mapped drive ie: x:\examplefile.txt would open fine in notepad and so on. But as soon as I try to open an office document in the same way (.doc or .pub etc..) word locks up as well as explorer for 5-10minutes and sometimes (quite randomly after 5 mins an authentication dialogue will pop up but sometimes it doesn't at all).

It looks to me as though office is trying to open up the file using webdav instead of going direct to the virtual file system like other software is doing, is there a way to override this behaviour in the registry in order to stop everything from locking up?

Cheers,

Jay

Edit: Windows XP SP3 and Microsoft Office 2003
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 9:39 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This forum is for SCE related issues. For questions about Microsoft Office, please use the Microsoft public newsgroups for Office which would be the most relevant newsgroup for your question.

Office Discussion Groups
    http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/FlyoutOverview.mspx

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Thursday, September 18, 2008 9:32 AM