none
How to hide a specific task in Project 2013. RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to hide the top line of my project since it contains the total hours assigned to the project.

For example, I would like to hide line / task id 1, since that shows the total hours.

This is so I can work on only the first section, which is Planning, before I show the Development and Test sections.   I do not want to show the estimated hours for Development and Test, and I do not want those hours rolled up to the project total hours.

I know I can collapse Development and Test, but their summary hours still show.  

How can I hide specific lines in Microsoft project?

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 5:30 PM

All replies

• Joseph,

The only way to "hide" tasks is to set up a filter that excludes what you don't want. This can be with an auto-filter or a custom filter which has the tasks you want to hide flagged (e.g. Flag1).

Keep in mind however, that even though you "hide" specific tasks, Project will always roll up hours to each summary level unless you turn off auto-calculate (File/Options/schedule group/Calculation).

However, why do you want to hide the work totals? If you're trying to hide them from yourself, it seems a little strange, I love to know why. If you are trying to hide them from someone else who may open the file, all they need to do is to remove the filter and set calculation to "on" and the total hours will appear. There is no way to totally exclude or "lock out" tasks short of deletion.

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 5:40 PM
  • Joseph --

I believe you have made a mistake by designating task ID #1 as the summary task for the entire project.  Microsoft Project has a built-in Project Summary Task that you should use for this purpose instead.  If you are using either Microsoft Project 2010 or 2013, you can display the Project Summary Task by displaying the Format ribbon in any task view and then selecting the Project Summary Task checkbox in the Show/Hide section of the ribbon.

When you display the built-in Project Summary Task you will see that it is ID #0.  We give it the nicknames Row 0 or Task 0, but you will see that it summarizes every piece of information in the project.  And now you know you can also hide it and unhide it whenever you like, which will solve your original problem.

To get ride of your row ID #1, which I would call an artificial Project Summary task, select all tasks below it and then outdent them.  This will demote your row ID #1 back to a regular task, and then you can delete it.

As far as hiding other rows, refer to the answer John has given you, which is to apply a filter to temporarily hide the tasks.  Hope this additional information helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 6:22 PM

• If you don't want to show the work totals, either delete the Work column from the current table or apply a different table. See Help on tables if you don't know what they are.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Friday, May 15, 2015 9:31 AM