Windows 8 deployment not taking computername RRS feed

• Question

• When i deploy my Windows 8 image using MDT 2012 it asks for the computer name as expected but once the image is on the machine and rebooted i get the personalize screen asking for a colour theme and the computer name that is now blank.

I have the colour specified in the unattend (7 oobeSystem > Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup > VisualEffects > SystemDefaultBackgroundColor) but can't figure out why it's asking for the computer name or how to bypass the screen.

other than this it all seems to work ok
    Tuesday, May 14, 2013 11:43 AM

All replies

• When you say "it asks for the computer name as expected", do you mean the MDT Wizard prompts you for it?

And have you customized the Unattend.xml any way beyond the background color and away from the default Unattend.xml provided by MDT?  If you use a default Unattend.xml, does the computer name work without prompting in OOBE (knowing that the background color won't work for this test)?

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 1:22 PM
    Answerer
  • Sorry, yes the MDT wizard asks for the computer name, that's the only thing that needs to be typed.

The Unattend.xml is the same as the one we have working fine for Windows 7 apart from the background colour selection and some start tiles. The colour selection works, if i change the number and retry the deployment the slider moves to the selected colour, it's just the computer name that's got me :(

I haven't tried it with a default unattend, guess that's worth a shot.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 1:50 PM