L2TP VPN throws Error 868, logoff/logon necessary RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there!

For approximately half a year I now have the following problem on various Windows 7 clients
    (64bit, ultimate and pro, standalone, no domain or ADS):

A L2TP VPN connection is lost either due to network issues or Windows 7 Energy Save mode(!).
    Attempts to reconnect are greeted with an immediat Error 868. Packet sniffers on the Win7
    client (wireshark) or the client side LAN -> internet gateway prove, that
    not one single packet is sent to the server when that error is thrown.

However, the repair demonstrably is to locally logoff and logon again!

This means one has to close all open applications to reestablish the VPN connection.
    The VPN service runs on the linux gateway of the company and never needs to be restarted
    or even touched to get the connection to work again.  Changing the vpn connection's servername
    to ip-addres doesn't change anything.  The Windows client correctly shows the VPN as not connected
    in the Network-popup in the lower right cornerof the screen. The immediate appearance of said error,
    w/o network traffic, would insinuate, that locally inside Windows some kind of VPN data has not been cleared.

How can I make Windows clean up all ramins of a dead VPN connection?

Way around: how (commandline?)  can I manually clean up VPN connection status similar to how logoff/long is doing, w/o actually logging off or closing applications?

TIA

Paul

• Edited by dipr Wednesday, September 16, 2015 5:07 PM typos
    Wednesday, September 16, 2015 5:05 PM