Windows XP Professional Validation following reloading of the OS RRS feed

• Question

• I reloaded Windows XP Professional to a Dell OPTIPLEX 360 Desktop last night. This was a specially configured Desktop from Dell that was ordered with Windows XP Professional in place of Vista. The product Key shipped on the tower was however Vista. I have the Special Order description paperwork in front of me now.

I used Belarc Advisor software to read the originally installed product key prior to reloading of the software.

Microsoft Activation Center is trying to tell me that this is not a valid product key.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:39 PM

Answers

• I found the instructions to do this and got mine reactivated this morning.

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/downgrade_rights.aspx

Only 2 problems. To get a human on the phone you have to get the computer to say it can't understand you several times. Finnaly you will get transfered. Then the first person I talked to didn't know how to do it and transferred me. I finally got the second person to stop trying to get me to call Dell and she took care of it after I read her the instructions and gave her the web page.

Good luck!

• Proposed as answer by AB0234 Tuesday, January 24, 2012 4:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by arnavsharmaModerator Wednesday, July 10, 2013 10:19 AM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 4:20 PM

All replies

• This is the same problem I'm having right now. A Dell Latitude with the Vista to XP Pro downgrade. The product key says vista, but XP was activated and passed the genuine advantage. After a wipe and clean install it accepted the XP key, but won't reactivate. I even tried the Vista key just in case. That didn't work either. You used to be able to call someone when you had this kind of problem, but it's all automated now. Cant find a human to talk to. Any one know how to fix this?

Thanks.

Friday, January 20, 2012 10:32 PM
  • I found the instructions to do this and got mine reactivated this morning.

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/downgrade_rights.aspx

Only 2 problems. To get a human on the phone you have to get the computer to say it can't understand you several times. Finnaly you will get transfered. Then the first person I talked to didn't know how to do it and transferred me. I finally got the second person to stop trying to get me to call Dell and she took care of it after I read her the instructions and gave her the web page.

Good luck!

• Proposed as answer by AB0234 Tuesday, January 24, 2012 4:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by arnavsharmaModerator Wednesday, July 10, 2013 10:19 AM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 4:20 PM