Lag Spikes in Vista RRS feed

• Question

• I've been having internet issues from about the time I installed Vista, and while most of those have been resolved, I've found a big problem when it comes to playing games online in Vista.

I'm getting a lag spike about every 30-60 seconds on practially every game.  I've been playing the same games in WinXP and have had no such problems.  I've been checking around, and it seems that this is a fairly well-known issue with wireless networks, and the solution then was usually to link the router to the network card directly.  The difference here is that I don't have a wireless router.  Actuall, I link directly to my DSL modem.  I'm wondering if the lack of a router is the problem, but I'm not ready to invest in a router until I'm sure that is the solution.  I have a Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC, integrated to my motherboard if that helps.

Thre is also another problem, I've been finding that usually after a few hours, I no longer have an internet connection, or rather I can't connect to anything.  I disabled all power-down options for my card and I'm running on maximum power, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Well, that's it.  I hope you guys can help me.  I'd really like to get online gaming on Vista working, among other things.  Thanks.

EDIT:  Forgot to mention, I haev a D-Link 2320b DSL Modem, no router.  Thanks
    Friday, September 21, 2007 10:51 PM

All replies

• I have been having similar problems, but its not laggy for everything. Today my internet browser and basicly whole computer has been lagging for an unknown reason.. But in counter-strike. if i look at the score menu, or press 'Esc' to go to options i get really choppy lag and it distorts sounds and everything, other then that i dont get too many lag spikes... But why would i want a OS that cant even handle a game thats over 10 years old? Maybe thats an issue? but hey, its a dual core amd 64 should i not run it with crZy hc0re fps!?
    Linksys Broadband router, never was a problem before this OS and 10MBPS UP/DOWN internet..

thnx, sry for loading up ur post
    Tuesday, September 25, 2007 10:46 AM