Admin without owner rights RRS feed

• Question

• Found the same problem in vista. I  could not gain entry to any of the files where some programes store files. Error reply access denighed on every file i tried to send it to or it just vanished documents is one case in point that wo'nt let me access it.
    Saturday, August 8, 2009 8:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Generally, access denied error indicates that you don't have enough permissions on these files. Please make sure that you log on with Administrator account and you do have relavant priviledges. If you don't have enough permissions, you need to take ownership of these files to access them. To do this, please take the following steps.

Take ownership of the drive you are wishing to access:

1)    Click Start –> All Programs ->Accessories

2)    Right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

3)    Type: takeown /f filepath (Replace filepath with the location of your drive, example d:\)

4)    Press Enter, you will be prompted with completed successfully message.

5)    Type: icacls filepath /grant yourusername:f (Replace filepath with the location of your drive, and yourusername with your profile name)

6)    Press Enter, you will be prompted with completed successfully message.

7)    Then try to delete files in this drive and see if it works.

More information about takeown.exe, please visit the following technical material.

Takeown

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753024(WS.10).aspx

References:

==========

The following article which is originally written for Windows XP also applies to Windows 7.

How to take ownership of a file or a folder

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421/en-us

Best Regards.

Dale Qiao

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Friday, August 14, 2009 12:46 AM
    Monday, August 10, 2009 2:34 AM