Excel files opening in Word from WSS 3.0 document library RRS feed

• Question

• We have a few users who are still running on Office 2003 (not sure why they haven't updated yet to at least 07, but that is the way it is here sometimes), and when they try to edit Excel files from a doc library the files are trying to open in Word.  I'm not sure if this happens in all excel files or just xlsx files, but my help desk techs have noticed that they are happening only on user machines who have 2003 installed.  I was wondering if there was something we can do other than upgrade their Office suites.  That is going to be done, but with how slow things run sometimes I would like to have a "band aid" solution in place for the time being.
    Friday, May 27, 2011 6:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Aptiva Dave,

Does the issue only occurs with Excel files stored on SharePoint? If it is so, try to repair Office 2003 from control panel, and then everything will be fine.

For more reference, please go through this article:

http://sharepointpratik.wordpress.com/2011/03/14/excel-2003-files-try-to-open-in-word-2003-when-using-sps-2003/.

Thanks & Regards,

Peng Lei

• Marked as answer by David HM Tuesday, June 7, 2011 7:52 AM
    Monday, May 30, 2011 4:30 AM
  • Addition to Peng Li's reply just check the client machine's config if the .xls files mistakenly selected to open always through .doc. The users might have used the "Open with" option and select word application to open always.
    Thanks, Arun, Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, May 30, 2011 7:12 PM