none
MS Project 2013 / Resource Pool / Strange behaviour / Help RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

i recently started trying to use a resource pool in our entreprise. The goal is to let the resource manager fill the resource pool and the PM use it as a read-only file. It is exactly what we need. So i try this solution before put it in place at the office. Unfortunately i see a strange behaviour i do not understand.

1) I had a .mpp which has just been baselined and has been built with the ressource pool. When i entrer data for the first task :

- Change the statut date of the project for the 2016-09-11 

- In the detailed task form, entrer the real start date 2016-08-17 (this the real date at which the task start)

- In the detailed task form, entrer the real finish date 2016-08-30 (this the real date at which the task end)

- In the detailed task form, entrer real work 15,5h and the remaining work 0

The resource usage shows that the 15,5 has been regularly spread between the start and finish dates i have put... Great.

So, i close the file.

2) When i open the file, MS Project ask me if i want to open the resource file. If my answer is not, the file opened is exactly as i saved it before. Great.

3) When i open the file, but this time with also opening the resource file, something has changed the task: The task will finish one day later (the 2016-09-01 instead of the 2016-08-30) !!! Moreover, the line in the Gant is now more a dotted line that a full line.

In this situation, when updating some other task, i saw finish date changed far away the original finish date...

Why this behaviour ??? Is there something i misunderstood ? Is it the right way to update a project (Changing real date) ?

Regards, 

Sébastien

Monday, September 12, 2016 1:46 AM

Answers

• Rolle,

Well, the way that you have described your setup, it may work okay. If I understand you correctly, the "master" resource pool is simply a stand alone file with no sharer files. I'm not quite sure why you need a macro to grab that file and store it in a fixed location elsewhere on SharePoint, I would think you could do a simple drag and drop.

But then things get a little confusing when you say you allow the project manger to download that pool file on SharePoint to it "final location" and rename it. What is the "final location"? Is that on the PMs local drive?

I don't use SharePoint, so I don't know if there is an issue or not, but I think you should be able to have a resource pool file and sharer files on SharePoint and still safely operate a linked structure of resource pool/sharer files with minimal chance of corruption. Note, "minimal", not zero.

The main point is that none of those files should ever be renamed, moved, or saved off to another location. If you need to update the resource pool file on a periodic basis, I suggest you first un-link all sharer files from the pool, replace the old pool with the new pool and then re-link the sharer files.

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 9:46 PM

All replies

• Do you have SP1 installed for Project and the latest updates? If not, try.

Also be very careful not to rename, move or over-write the project file as file corruption will happen sooner or later. This is a problem with Windows DDE technology the resource file link uses.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book and VBA developer.
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 3:08 AM
  • Thank for the reply. I think i am up to date with MS Project 2013 (see below). So if i understand, if i need to rename or move my project file (not the resource pool which in my case is always read only and at the same location), i can remove the resource pool from my project, move or rename the project file and then link again the project with the resource file. If i follow the step above, can i move or rename safely my project ?

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 1:47 PM
  • Rolle,

Rod is probably counting sheep right now, so allow me to comment.

First, yes, you are fully updated with Project 2013. You can always check updates by looking at this blog:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/projectsupport/p/msp13

With regard to your plan about renaming or moving sharer files. Not a good idea. Why? Because in a linked structure (e.g. resource pool/sharer), there is a link tag on both the source and destination files (i.e. pool and sharer). If your resource pool file is read only and you disconnect a sharer file from it, you will not be able to save the pool file to capture the change at the source file so what you end up with is a link fragment and that is all you need to sow the seed for corruption.

John

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 5:18 PM
  • ok. So i need to change the way i was planning of using resource pool among the projects managers (actually, the resource pool is updated by the ressource manager - without any link to sharer - and stored on SharePoint. I made a macro to download the resource pool from SharePoint always at the same location C:\resource.mpp with read only attribut every time MS project is opened. I also done an empty project with a link to a pool located at C:\resource.mpp  - store on SharePoint - available for project manager which need to dowload it to its final location on the disk and rename it before using it... I understand that this will not work :( ).

In the case where the pool is located on sharepoint and i just want to use it for the resource's calendars and cost (i.e, i do not want any project manager change this pool in any way), how can i share this pool among project manager and distribute any update of the pool (there is no way for MS project to link a sharer with a pool located on SharePoint and moreover, i do not want the pool to be change) ?

Sebastien

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 12:51 AM
  • Rolle,

Well, the way that you have described your setup, it may work okay. If I understand you correctly, the "master" resource pool is simply a stand alone file with no sharer files. I'm not quite sure why you need a macro to grab that file and store it in a fixed location elsewhere on SharePoint, I would think you could do a simple drag and drop.

But then things get a little confusing when you say you allow the project manger to download that pool file on SharePoint to it "final location" and rename it. What is the "final location"? Is that on the PMs local drive?

I don't use SharePoint, so I don't know if there is an issue or not, but I think you should be able to have a resource pool file and sharer files on SharePoint and still safely operate a linked structure of resource pool/sharer files with minimal chance of corruption. Note, "minimal", not zero.

The main point is that none of those files should ever be renamed, moved, or saved off to another location. If you need to update the resource pool file on a periodic basis, I suggest you first un-link all sharer files from the pool, replace the old pool with the new pool and then re-link the sharer files.

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 9:46 PM