Windows 8 - MS Windows Search Indexer using 100% systemdisk resources RRS feed

• Question

• Search Indexer is basically making this computer unusable.  I am clueless! System includes Windows 8 Pro, 16 gb RAM, 128gb SSD Drive system disk, 2 Tb Fixed disk, 1.5 Tb USB external drive , Intel I7-3770K Processor, Gigabyte MB, Amer Mega BIOS.  I was using Comcast's version of Norton's Anti Virus but have since removed.  Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Ken

Saturday, April 13, 2013 5:33 PM

Answers

• contact the crucial support how to update the firmware.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Sunday, April 28, 2013 3:50 PM
    Sunday, April 21, 2013 7:33 PM
    Answerer
  • the V series also isn't so great compared to the M4 or a Samsung 830/840Pro. Try to tell your old SSD on ebay and buy a better one.

• Marked as answer by Kranial_1 Monday, April 29, 2013 5:42 PM
    Sunday, April 28, 2013 7:03 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Make a xperf trace to see the cause. Install the WPT (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4847.install-the-windows-performance-toolkit-wpt-en-us.aspx), open a CMD prompt with admin rights and type this:

xperf -on latency -stackwalk profile -buffersize 1024 -MaxFile 512 -FileMode Circular && timeout -1 && xperf -d highCPUUsage.etl

after you captured 30s of the cpu usage, go back to CMD prompt and press a key to stop the logging. Now compress the highCPUUsage.etl as 7z (LZMA2, ULTRA) to reduce the size. Upload this file to your SkyDrive or Dropbox and post a link here.

Saturday, April 13, 2013 7:00 PM
    Answerer
  • I am completely new to Win8.  I was under the impression if my acct was admin then what I did was admin capable.  It appears not so with the cmd prompt.

In any case, I installed the SDK, opened a windows powershell and ran the command you typed exactly.  The installation took over 30 min as the system disk was maxed out the whole time.  below is the output from the command...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows PowerShell

Copyright (C) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\Users\User> xperf -on latency -stackwalk profile -buffersize 1024 -MaxFile 512 -FileMode Circular && timeout -1 && xperf -d highCPUUsage.etl

At line:1 char:87

+ ... eMode Circular && timeout -1 && xperf -d highCPUUsage.etl

+                    ~~

The token '&&' is not a valid statement separator in this version.

At line:1 char:101

+ ...  && timeout -1 && xperf -d highCPUUsage.etl

+                    ~~

The token '&&' is not a valid statement separator in this version.

+ CategoryInfo          : ParserError: (:) [], ParentContainsErrorRecordException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvalidEndOfLine

PS C:\Users\User>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I appreciate your assistance.  I have never used this before and have no clue what went wrong. 

Regards,

Ken

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 5:34 PM
  • you used the PowerShell command Window. Use the normal command prompt (cmd.exe).

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 6:12 PM
    Answerer
  • Response from standard cmd prompt as follows:

----------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]
    (c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\User>
    C:\Users\User>xperf -on latency -stackwalk profile -buffersize 1024 -MaxFile 512
     -FileMode Circular && timeout -1 && xperf -d highCPUUsage.etl
    xperf: error: NT Kernel Logger: Access is denied. (0x5).

C:\Users\User>

-------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 7:30 PM
  • run the cmd.exe as admin.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 7:41 PM
    Answerer
  • I am logged on as the 1 and only administrator when I start the cmd prompt.  What am I missing?
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 8:20 PM
  • You miss the impact of UAC. With UAC you have standard user rights. Make a righclick on the CMD.exe and select "Run as administrator":

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/How-do-I-run-an-application-once-with-a-full-administrator-access-token

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 5:05 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for your assistance.  My last pc was Win XP and some things have changed a bit since then...  Here is the link although I am not sure it will contain the info you wanted.  The machine was not having issues when I ran the test...

Regards,

Ken

• Edited by Kranial_1 Friday, April 19, 2013 7:18 PM Removed link to skydrive
    Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:56 PM
  • I can see some periodic high disk usage:

Your Crucial v4 seams to run in IDE mode (IDE\DISKV4-CT128V4SSD2). Make sure you use AHCI.

Thursday, April 18, 2013 6:52 PM
    Answerer
  • Please pretend I am not certified in anything but ignorance. What does the above answer mean?  I don't know what AHCI is.  Is that some BIOS setting because I can't find any reference to it in Windows.
    Thursday, April 18, 2013 8:52 PM
  • read here what AHCI is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Host_Controller_Interface

You must change the mode in the BIOS/UEFI. Make sure you read this before:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Host_Controller_Interface#Boot_issues

Otherwise the PC doesn't start.

Friday, April 19, 2013 5:27 AM
    Answerer
  • Made the change as requested.  I edited the registry and turned on AHCI in the BIOS.  Seems to not have solved it.  Here is another capture from today...

• Edited by Kranial_1 Monday, April 22, 2013 5:16 PM removed link to skydrive
    Friday, April 19, 2013 7:16 PM
  • But I don't understand what happens. You have a long service time for an unknown file which has 0kb size.

Check if there is a firmware update for your SSD and also run a diag tool from crucial to see if the SSD is still fine.

Saturday, April 20, 2013 6:24 AM
    Answerer
  • I was unable to locate a diag tool from Crucial but I found Crystal Disk Info and that reported everything was good.  I tried to update the firmware but their tool can't even find a SSD drive in the system.  Their webpage says this in regards to troubleshooting:

UEFI-based Systems: During validation of this firmware update we noticed instances where our update tools do not recognize the SSD with some systems using UEFI. The target device is not recognized as an updateable device during the reboot process. If this happens, the firmware update will not occur, and you’ll retain the firmware version you started with. Windows will then restart normally. If this sequence occurs, you cannot upgrade to this firmware version at this time, but you’ve done no harm to your system (or your data).

So I thought I would restore the system back to the IDE settings and try again but no luck.  The update tool does not recognize there being an SSD drive in the system

Sunday, April 21, 2013 7:27 PM
  • contact the crucial support how to update the firmware.

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Sunday, April 28, 2013 3:50 PM
    Sunday, April 21, 2013 7:33 PM
    Answerer
  • Tried contacting Crucial Support.  There is no flash upgrade.  They were not exactly helpful.  I scrubbed the system and reinstalled but it seems this may not be resolved anytime soon
    Sunday, April 28, 2013 4:37 PM
  • the V series also isn't so great compared to the M4 or a Samsung 830/840Pro. Try to tell your old SSD on ebay and buy a better one.

• Marked as answer by Kranial_1 Monday, April 29, 2013 5:42 PM
    Sunday, April 28, 2013 7:03 PM
    Answerer