none
Search Result ranking for contents RRS feed

• Question

• Would it be possible to place a content to the top of search result?

for example, if i searched for "speakers" then the #1 result should be "altec lansing" or any content that will be configured by the administrators.

is this possible?

----------------------- Sharepoint Newbie

Monday, February 18, 2013 10:14 AM

All replies

• Hi, 

this feature is called Best Bet, you can configure it in FAST Search Keywords in Site Collection level of your search center, or via PowerShell. Basically you should add a keyword "speakers" and then add BestBest with a link to your "altec lansing" document .

Please address http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/fast-search-server-help/manage-fast-search-keywords-HA010381994.aspx for more details on configuration.

Monday, February 18, 2013 12:23 PM
  • EDIT:

Sorry here's my updated inquiry. In my sharepoint document library, I have an integer field their called "No. of users who find this as helpful" and it just increments.

Here's the actual scenario.

Doc1.doc  has 20 in "No. of users who find this as helpful" field

Doc2.doc has 25 in "No. of users who find this as helpful" field

Now when I search for an item, the result should show Doc1.doc being the #1 search result and Doc2.doc being the 2nd in search result

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 2:36 AM
  • Hello, 

so did my first answer helped to your original question?

As for the 2nd question: the most simpliest way is just to sort by your "No. of users" managed property. As an advanced solution you can add "No. of users" as one of components to static rank of a document. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff191247(v=office.14).aspx#add_static_rank_component

It could be tricky to choose a weight for this component. You might want to use  http://fs4splogger.codeplex.com/ during tuning of your parameters.

Please mark this as answer if it helps. My Blog

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 11:59 AM
  • How will I link/map my field "No. of users" in my FAST search as one of components to static rank of a document?

I tried to get its internal name, and went to FAST Content SSA and add it as mapped property and I cant find it there, I also performed full crawl and still no luck.

Do you have any step by step guide?

Friday, February 22, 2013 6:12 AM
  • Ok so I already added the NoOfUsers managed property and is linked to the internal name of my column (No. Of Users)

How will I create a new rank profile?

My goal here is to create a weight for the NoOfUsers property

for example.

1. I have 3 documents

(Doc1.doc with No. Of Users = 10

Doc2.doc with No. Of Users = 15

Doc3.doc with No. Of Users = 20)

2. Now if I search my site using "doc", my search result should return to me Doc2.doc as the 1st query.

How will I achieve this? I am only in the 1st step, I have mapped my column or created a managed property

Friday, February 22, 2013 6:55 AM
  • 1. Actually if you need to sort results ONLY by value of this managed property, then it's a different story. Just make sure it's your managed property has SortableType=SortableEnabled, by default it's SortableDisabled. Then for testing purpose you can add /results.aspx?v=XXXX parameter to you query string. Then if it goes well, reconfigure your webparts to use this sorting order permanently (here's step by step guide).

$sorty = Get-FASTSearchMetadataManagedProperty -Name "XXXX"
    Set-FASTSearchMetadataManagedProperty –ManagedProperty $sort –SortableType 1

2. And if you need to use value of this MP as one component total rank calculation together with other components (e.g. freshness of document, proximity of terms, frequency of terms, then

follow this step by step guide. Specify "default" as rankprofile.

Friday, February 22, 2013 9:18 AM
  • Actually its NOT ONLY by this value, but it must also consider other properties of other contents, in this example

1. I have 5 documents

Doc3.doc with No. Of Users = 20

file.doc with No. Of Users = 200

NBA.doc with No. Of Users = 250)

2. Now if I search my site using "doc", my search result should return to me Doc3.doc as the 1st query. since doc1, doc2, and doc3 contents are relevant to my search query, and Doc3.doc has the highest No. of Users value.

how will I configure this scenario?

Another example would be:

1. I have 4 documents

(paper1.doc with No. of Users = 10

picture.doc with No. of Users = 20

speaker.doc with No. of users = 30

picture2.doc with No. of Users = 40

bag.doc with No of Users = 5)

2. If I entered picture as my query, it should return me picture2.doc as the 1st result since it has No. of Users = 40 then 2nd will be picture.doc

Friday, February 22, 2013 10:42 AM
  • Think of searching as a two phase process. At 1st phase search engine select those documents which contain search terms. At 2nd phase search engine performs ranking of these selected documents using various criteria.

So here we discuss only the 2nd phase - choosing appropriate ranking model, and it seems your use cases can be covered by SORTING by No. Of Users. Does it make sense?

Friday, February 22, 2013 10:56 AM
  • actually we have shown the SORTING functionality to our client, and he doesnt like it.

so do you mean that If I chose the sort method that you suggested, the requirement will be addressed?

1. I have 5 documents

Doc3.doc with No. Of Users = 20

file.doc with No. Of Users = 200

NBA.doc with No. Of Users = 250)

2. Now if I search my site using "doc", my search result should return to me Doc3.doc as the 1st query. since doc1, doc2, and doc3 contents are relevant to my search query, and Doc3.doc has the highest No. of Users value.

Sunday, February 24, 2013 7:37 AM
  • Yes, that's how it will be.

Sure thing you can make sorting by No.OfUsers by default (instead of default relevance) and hide sorting controls from your customer if he doesnt like it.

Sunday, February 24, 2013 5:49 PM
  • I again talked to the client, he wants the sorting control to be there. and he doesnt want to use that to sort it by SORTING by No. Of Users

is there any other way to address this?

Monday, February 25, 2013 12:38 AM
  • let me just try this sorting and this link.

I created my own rank. and then I added a managedproperty called "TicketsResolved" - this MP is mapped to my column.

here's what it shows in my powershell

So I added 2 pages with

Page1.aspx has ResolvedTickets column value = 1

Page2.aspx has ResolvedTickets column value = 500

I performed full crawl I tried to search "page"

in the FS4SP this is what it showed me.

How come my ManagedProperty or Rank didnt appear?

What did I do wrong?

Monday, February 25, 2013 12:54 AM
  • Hi,

1) what do you mean you've "created your own rank"? Are you speaking of rankprofile? If yes - did you configured fast to use this new rankprofile instead of default one? (for example via v=rankprofilename in address bar)

2) Let's ensure your ResolvedTickets is configured correctly (Integer etc) - please show its config in powershell.

3) Let's ensure your ResolvedTickets is mapped and indexed correctly - type ResolvedTickets:value in search.

Monday, February 25, 2013 9:26 AM
  • I again talked to the client, he wants the sorting control to be there.

and he doesnt want to use that to sort it by SORTING by No. Of Usersis

there any other way to address this?

Yes, you can leave sorting control and add another sort option - by number of ResolvedTickets for example. Step by step guide how to configure your Search Actions web part is here.

Monday, February 25, 2013 9:32 AM
  • Hi,

1) what do you mean you've "created your own rank"? Are you speaking of rankprofile? If yes - did you configured fast to use this new rankprofile instead of default one? (for example via v=rankprofilename in address bar)

2) Let's ensure your ResolvedTickets is configured correctly (Integer etc) - please show its config in powershell.

3) Let's ensure your ResolvedTickets is mapped and indexed correctly - type ResolvedTickets:value in search.

1) Yes I created my own rank profile and my screenshot above shows my new rankprofile and its MP

2) Here:

3)

Monday, February 25, 2013 10:25 AM
  • Ok, then you need a final step - tell FAST to use your new rankprofile instead of default one - try to add &v={rankprofilename} in address bar.

If for some reason it will not work for you - try to modify default rank profile.

Monday, February 25, 2013 10:50 AM
  • Where shall I put that? Am I doing it right?

The result still shows

EDIT:

There seems to be something wrong, even if I place &v=ResolvedTicketsRankasd it still returns the result.

whats the correct method here?

I tried to place this as url

Fast%20Search/Pages/results.aspx&v=ResolvedTicketsRank?k=ResolvedTickets%3A500
    and it shows an error page. Bad Request 400

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:33 AM
  • You are almost there!

Now try to search for 'page' (to get more than 1 result) then sort by Date using UI combobox, and then replace (in url) v=write by &v=ResolvedTicketsRank (sometimes it will be v1= instead of v=). This "extra" v= piece will tell FAST to sort by this property instead of default rank. Essentially this actions does the same as you will manually reconfigure your search controls to have this sorting option to be displayed ( sorry for pointing to the same article again:) http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg193930(v=office.14).aspx#BKMK_MakeAManagedPropertySortOptionAvailableInTheWebFrontEnd )

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:23 PM
  • ok, so if this succeeds tomorrow in the office, how come that the result doesnt return Page 2 as the #1 result when I entered "page" as my search query?

heres the wiki pages:

and i cant see the ranks in my FS4SP Query Logger

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:47 PM
  • i already tried it and the result returned. This is not the result im expecting, because my test data is:

so I expect Page2.aspx to be the #1 result

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 1:26 AM