none
Which one comes first - Setting predecessors or assigning resources ? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to do automatic scheduling on a Gantt Chart correctly. I am not sure if I should set all the predecessors/dependencies first and then assign the resources to tasks OR vice versa.

Which one is correct ? Which one is wrong and why ?

King

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:54 AM

Answers

• Dear MicroManProj,

Though both sequences will work, but the studies and our practical experience says that dependencies should be defined before assigning resources.

The greatest advantage of doing this way is that you would be able to see resources availability in terms of project plan on first look and can easily level those. Unlike other way, i.e. first assign the resources and then define the dependencies and then level those.

If some one has any thing to add, please ..

Regards

R A A

• Marked as answer by MicroManProj Wednesday, October 31, 2012 4:35 PM
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 6:50 AM

All replies

• Dear MicroManProj,

Though both sequences will work, but the studies and our practical experience says that dependencies should be defined before assigning resources.

The greatest advantage of doing this way is that you would be able to see resources availability in terms of project plan on first look and can easily level those. Unlike other way, i.e. first assign the resources and then define the dependencies and then level those.

If some one has any thing to add, please ..

Regards

R A A

• Marked as answer by MicroManProj Wednesday, October 31, 2012 4:35 PM
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 6:50 AM
  • I would say ALWAYS assign the logic (pred / succ) first. Perhaps just the way i think though.

Predecessors and Sucessors are not the order in which the work should be done, but the order in which it HAS to be done.  You can then fit resources in around this logic.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 9:31 AM
  • The other replies are right on. Dependencies first, then estimating, then resources. This is the sequence described in PMBOK and just makes sense. The hand-off of deliverables from one task to another is independent of who is doing the work. At that stage you may not even know who your team is or possibly even what skill levels would be required.
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 10:02 AM
  • I agree with all the suggetsions provided below; as per the PMBOK practice or say best practice we first define WBS then dependencies then assign resources.

Sapna Shukla

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 10:17 AM
  • Thanks to all.

King

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 4:36 PM